Author Topic: BC Death Lookup  (Read 1561 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BC Death Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 July 17 00:54 BST (UK) »
Success!

Although the death registration does not name her husband, tracking the informant shows that Rachel's husband was indeed an Andrew Anderson.

The informant was Mark Alfred Vorley Phillips, relationship: son in law.

Looking at Mark's marriage here: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT1S-HYC?i=430&cc=1307718  you see the bride's parents as Andrew Anderson and Rachel Kirk. It looks like they all lived in Victoria at that time, but by Rachel's death, she was living at 1025 Davie St Vancouver, same address as the son in law.
Rachel's father is given as Richard Kirk, born England and mother as Margaret Sutherland, born Scotland.  On the marriage registration, the father is born Scotland, and the mother born England, so it looks like the son in law was just filling the form out from what he thought he knew, but not quite right.

Rachel's birthdate is hard to read, but it looks like 08 Jun 1868.  It states she was 59 years and 4 days old at time of death, which was 11 Jun 1927.  An inquest was held on 13 Jun 1927 where the cause of death was deemed to be "natural causes, probably cerebral hemorrhage".  As an inquest was held, I'm assuming she was home alone when she passed.
Under the residency status, and keep in mind the son in law was filling it out, it states she lived at place of death for 10 months, in British Columbia for 14 years, and in Canada for 14 years.

There is another marriage of a bride who's parents are Andrew Anderson and Rachel Kirk, who's middle name is Sutherland, which could explain why the name Sutherland came up. See image at:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1MQ-RPG?i=53&cc=1307718

If you go through all the marriages of the daughters at Familysearch, and compare Andrew's occupation, etc, you might be able to figure out if there is two families with the same names, or more than likely, all belong to you.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 July 17 01:14 BST (UK) »
Minor follow up on a daughter:

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/6e9ec2a7-3f1b-4f0a-ae51-869c6ba21a54

Now both parents are born in Scotland!

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 July 17 02:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much bbart. I though we had found all the daughter marriages but I don't have the one to Phillips. I will investigate.
I have a suspect for Rachel in Scotland born 7 Jun 1868 in Golspie, Sutherland but parents are Richard KIRK and Margaret THOMSON. Perhaps the son in law was a bit mixed up.
The daughter who has Sutherland as a 2nd name also has Thompson as a 3rd given name.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 July 17 02:29 BST (UK) »
You are more than welcome!

I saw that Thomson as well.  Could it be Sutherland is the maiden name of the mother to either Rachel or Andrew?

Anyways, you have lots to work with now.  ;)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 July 17 06:31 BST (UK) »

I have a suspect for Rachel in Scotland born 7 Jun 1868 in Golspie, Sutherland but parents are Richard KIRK and Margaret THOMSON.

Rachel's daughter, Mabel Green Anderson was married twice, so it took me a bit to find her death cert., but it says her mother Rachel was born in Golspie England.  No idea of who the informant is.  If you haven't seen it, the general form is at:
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/b0ee9309-45d5-4456-b763-24cc81c55088
and the medical form at:
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/4da7354e-3435-4de7-aaf3-fddc4b1cecd7

At least one of the other daughters was remarried as well, but now I can't remember which one!  ::)

I was trying to find the death of the father Andrew, (and not having any luck at all) and sidetracked badly!  Also the first daughter born, Margaret Thompson Anderson.... I can't tell if she came to Canada or not. She isn't with the family on the 1911 census, but may have been married.

If you run into any other pertinent forms with no image online, it's no problem for me to see if the library has it.  It seems this is all the same family, just some errors by informants of names of people they never met.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 July 17 06:52 BST (UK) »
You have been having fun bbart! All valuable information too. It is good to find out what happened to the daughters, 6 girls no boys for Andrew and Rachel.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 July 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Andrew died 1915 in Grahams Landing, BC (in the Kooteneys)
I found it on familyserarch.   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLKD-XLM

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 July 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
Good work bbart  :D

It's surprising how often Scottish place names are mentioned as England as though Scotland is a RD in England  ???  ::)

I've seen somewhere (can't recall where) but the place name was written then Scotland, England  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"