Author Topic: Bridgeton Brown family  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Joe022

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridgeton Brown family
« on: Friday 28 July 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm trying to trace any of my dads family. My dad was Joseph Harris Brown born in Bridgeton in July 1942. His parents were Walter Thom Brown and Jeanie or Jean Thomson Brown (maiden name Harris). My dad moved down to Corby to the Stewart & Lloyd's steel works and met my mother but never married her. As I grew up in Corby I never had much contact with my dads family and he died in 1994 when I was 21 so never got around to asking about his family. You know how it is as a teenager, more important things like birds and booze. I joined the army at 16 so was rarely home. I'm trying to find out if he had any brothers or sisters as I do remember him taking me to Glasgow in the 70's and playing with kids while there, learning the word jobby lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgeton Brown family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 July 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe , welcome to RC  :)

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ website has a marriage Walter Thom Brown /  Jean Thomson Harris , 1939 , College Lanark.
That certificate can be downloaded if you register with the site and purchase credits , that should give you the parents of Walter and Jean and help you get further back -
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/our-charges

Not so easy coming forward as records are restricted for download , births 100 years , marriages 75 years , deaths 50 years , however the indexes are free to search once you register.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Joe022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I've got pretty far up and even discovered my great grandad Joe Harris played for Partick Thistle, Newcastle united, Middlesbrough and Scotland. I've got a lot of Brown, Harris, Thom, Gibson on my dads side and my half sister has done all the work on my mums side, Fallen, Gibb, Scott.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 July 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
Joe, there is one search for siblings that can be done....but only in person at one of the main genealogy centres in Scotland. You can search for births after I think 1928-29, to include mother's maiden name.

Also, you can search Scotlands People for deaths after 1974 when it started to be included in the indexes. Parents married in 1939 from what Ev mentions so remaining children may not be deceased...

Monica

PS: You may be lucky though and someone recognises all these names  ;)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
     There was a Joe Harris, b 19 Mar 1896, at Bridgeton, d 29 Oct 1933, who was a Thistle player and had two caps for Scotland in 1921.      Does this sound like the Joe Harris you are looking for?

There is a Tree on Ance...try with him on it.       There is a 1901 census.   

I tried a google for: "Joe Harris, footballer with Partick Thistle, early 1900's" and there was some   information there about him.

On another tree, there is a photo of Joe in a football strip, and a marriage of Joe to a Janet Gibson, and there were four daughters.    If you get it wrong between the present day and 1901,

If it was me, I would buy several certificates and not rely too much on what others have on their tree.       You need the certs to give you a stepping stone back to the 1901 census.      You need solid, verifiable information - or everything may turn out wrong.       

Offline David Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe
Stumbled upon your post while googling info on Joe Harris. I am your cousin! My Dad is Robert, your Dads brother. I remember you coming up to Glasgow in the 70s vaguely. Hope it wasn't me teaching you the slang words! He has another brother, Derek, who still lives in Rutherglen. 3 boys, Stuart, Derek and Steven. I live in Cambuslang and my mum and dad live in Cumbernauld. Amazing how I came across your post

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Joe has been notified of your reply by email notification, I am sure he will be delighted to hear from you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Joe has been notified of your reply by email notification, I am sure he will be delighted to hear from you.

Regards

Sarah

I hope he does find his way back to his thread.   I came on here to offer words of encouragement and to keep the thread to the fore, then spotted his cousin has found him and I can hardly type due to an upsurge in emotion and a blurry keyboard.

Who knows one day we might meet up again on a genealogy tree with my 19th century Agnes Brown and her parents Thomas Brown and Janet Ferguson..
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Joe022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you all, to get their message today on the second anniversary of the day my mother died is just amazing. This has picked me up and made my day. David just to be sure is this your uncle Joe