Author Topic: James Shearer - Medomsley - 1828  (Read 851 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Shearer - Medomsley - 1828
« on: Friday 28 July 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
In the early part of 1828 James Shearer innkeeper, blacksmith and farmer at Medomsley was sent to Durham prison for debt.  Can anyone please give me more details of him or his family.  Many thanks

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Shearer - Medomsley - 1828
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 July 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry

You can use the Shrink Link facility at the bottom of the page for long links

Here's the result

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kgu/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 July 17 03:39 BST (UK) »
By 'more details of him or his family' I'm assuming you're trying to establish who they were, ie names & dates:

11 Dec 1797, Lanchester, James Shearer & Eleanor Selby both OTP

Baptisms at Lanchester
14th Oct 1798 (born 17 Sep) George Selby 1st son of James Sheerer, Blacksmith  of  Colliery (sic), Native of Tanfield, & his wife Eleanor, Native of Lanchester d/o Edward Selby
19 Apr 1801, born 27 Feb 1801, Mary 1st daughter of James Sheerer, Blacksmith  of  Dipton etc

Baptisms at Medomsley
1 Sep 1805, born 27 Jun 1805, John 3rd son of James Sheerer, Blacksmith  of  Medomsley etc
1 Mar 1808, born 31 Dec 1807, Elizabeth Sheerer, 2nd daughter etc
12 Mar 1810, born 22 Jan 1810, James Sheerer, 4th son etc
4 Oct 1812, born 10 Aug 1812, William Sheerer, 5th son etc
16 Apr 1815, Thomas s/o James Shearer & Eleanor, Medomsley, Blacksmith

You’ll notice that the 3rd 2nd son is missing, but according to the free index on Durham Records online he was Edward, 1803, Medomsley.  Copies of the Bishops Transcripts for the others are here:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kgv/

There is another baptism at Medomsley I can’t figure out - 28 Feb 1830, George s/o James Shearer & Margaret of Medomsley, Blacksmith.   The George born 1798 looks to have been buried 12 Apr 1827 at Lanchester (George Shearer of Medomsley aged 30) but Eleanor was still alive when the second George was baptised, and I can’t find any marriage of a James & Margaret nor any further trace of this child  ???

James Shearer: 
Baptised Tanfield 12 Mar 1769 s/o George Sherer (sic) of Tanfield Moor
Buried Medomsley  11 May 1832, aged 62
Parents: 06 Jul 1765, Tanfield, George Sherer & Margaret Morton

Eleanor Selby
Baptised Lanchester 12 May 1771 d/o Edward & Mary Selby of Carmiers
Buried Medomsley 6 Jun 1836, aged 62
Parents: 07 May 1759, Lanchester, Edward Selby & Mary Pearson
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 July 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have replied.  I am trying to build up a picture of the "life and times" of James Shearer who disappeared from my radar after he was imprisoned for debt in 1828.  I have discovered that he was a blacksmith, farmer and Innkeeper of The Buck's Head at Medomsley but I had believed him to be a much younger man when he was jailed.  He only lived for four years after that event and now I have to wonder whether he died in prison or whether he was released - hence his burial at Medomsley rather than Durham.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

His son William married Sarah Forster,the younger sister of my gg grandmother Jane Forster and was a butcher in Iveston.

I believe  that his wife Eleanor left a will which can be read via the North East Inheritance Project. The will refers to children Thomas, Elizabeth and William.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 July 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Millmoor,

Thank you for your contribution.  This man is clearly an ancestor of yours and I wonder if you or any of your family know whether he died in prison or was released before his death.  It seems crazy in todays terms, that a man could be put in prison for debt.  Fraudulent debt is one thing but an inability to pay bills for other reasons is unfortunate but not criminal.  And yet, for over thirty years after James Shearer was incarcerated, this could still happen.  As he was a farmer, a blacksmith and an innkeeper he obviously had assets and would probably be able to pay off his debts if he was not locked up.  I am trying to find out exactly what happened to him.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 July 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Where is the reference to James being imprisoned - I can't seem to find it.  Looks like the bad luck continued as the London Gazette dated 20 July 1838 refers to a Thomas Shearer of the Buck's Head:

"Thomas Shearer, late of the Buck's Head Inn, in the town of Medomsley, Durham, Innkeeper, Farmer, Blacksmith, and Butcher, and also a Common Carrier between Medomsley aforesaid and the Town and County of Newcastle upon Tyne"

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 17 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Jomot,

You are quite right.  James was not imprisoned but it seems that Thomas might have been.  Looking again at my material, I find that James' widow left a substantial (for the time) legacy and it appears that Thomas lost it all and was summoned to court to account for it.  I believe he may have been imprisoned for debt at least until his assets were realised.  I will have to look harder at this!