Author Topic: Ann(ie) MELVIN, b 1878 Fintray/Orphanage records?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann(ie) MELVIN, b 1878 Fintray/Orphanage records?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 July 17 07:20 BST (UK) »
I couldn't resist looking at the birth of Sophia Mcdonald Melvin on Scotlands People -illegitimate birth 26 April 1900 at Foveran - mother Annie Melvin - domestic servant

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 July 17 07:45 BST (UK) »
Possibly the same Annie I guess - her first Findlay child was 24-Oct-1901, but we'd need more evidence.

Slainte
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 July 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
Out of interest I think Sophia Melvin b 1900 had emigrated to Canada with the Cheyne family by 1916 and is listed here with the surname Cheyne https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMPP-G17

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 July 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Are you absolutely positive you have the right Sophia Anderson as the mother of Ann Melvin?

Both Sophia Anderson (daughter of James Anderson and Ann Reaper) and Sophia Ritchie Anderson (daughter of William Anderson and Margaret Third) were born around the same time.

Sophia Richie Anderson is in Old Machar in 1871 with her family - which admittedly isn't that far from Fintray where Ann Melvin is born in 1878. She then marries in Old Machar in 1879.

The other Sophia Anderson is in Methlick in 1871 as a domestic servant. George Melvin, the father of Ann Melvin, is in Tarves - where he is noted as living on Ann's birth registration. Methlick and Tarves are neighbouring parishes. This Sophia marries John Cheyne in 1885 in St Cyrus, Kincardineshire.

You've already said that a number of Ann Findlay's (nee Melvin) children had the middle name Cheyne - that would strongly suggest to me they were named for her mother's husband. And there is an Ann Melvin, b. Fintray with this Sophia Anderson's parents in 1881 and 1891, as Kay99 has said.

I'd be putting my money on this being your Sophia Anderson, and not Sophia Ritchie Anderson...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 July 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Oh dear - maybe you're right.

It's getting late here, so I'll leave it tonight. But looks like it is time to buy more Scotland's People  credits!

Thank you both for your help.

[later]
Yes, I've confirmed I had the wrong Sophia. Thanks again.

Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark