Author Topic: Merchant seaman details 1841 help needed  (Read 629 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Merchant seaman details 1841 help needed
« on: Saturday 29 July 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Alexander left Kirkcaldy around 1839-41, not sure if this record relates to Scotland or England, his later records are Sunderland based. I wondered if anyone could fill in the details for his 1841 record, I wasn't sure if Adam Clark was the master or the ship, I know in his early days Alexander worked on colliers and travelled all over the world more so when he became a master mariner but this is the earliest record I have found for him and would appreciate any help relating to it.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant seaman details 1841 help needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 July 17 20:00 BST (UK) »
ADAM CLARK was the name of the ship he sailed on in late 1839. A 130 ton Brig built in 1838 on the Tees. Her port of registry was Stockton on Tees. His rank was Seaman. Given her tonnage and rig, it is  likely she was employed in the east coast coal trade.
Her crew agreements which may give you some other details about him, can be obtained from here.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4064841

He also appears to have sailed on a Leith registered ship earlier in that year but without seeing the record in it's entirety I cannot say for sure.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant seaman details 1841 help needed
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed

Thanks for your reply, Alexander was mentioned several times as being the master of colliers particularly those arriving at Gravesend, there are several articles relating to him on the British Newspaper website regarding the sinking of The Rhine 1864, but I have struggled to find anything about his earlier voyages in the 1830s and 40s, so your information helps fill the gaps and it's much appreciated. 

Regards

Julie