Author Topic: Margaret Jones  (Read 1995 times)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Jones
« on: Saturday 29 July 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been working with a family member on this genealogy for fifteen years. My Aunt has died and left me all the research. We hit a brick wall with Margaret Jones. She was born in Philadelphia in 1877 Her parents were John Rowland Jones and Catherine Jones previously Howells and nee Jones. Margaret was the third of four daughters in this marriage. Her parents came from Aberystwyth and emigrated around 1871. They returned to Dalton London and are in the 1881 census. In the 1891 census she is fourteen and recorded as living at home. By 1901 census all the children have left home. Family information states that a trust fund was set up for Margaret Jones and that my grandfather regularly took her money until she was found dead in an attic room in 1926. My grandfather identified the body. We have been lead to believe she had become a prostitute. They were an extremely religious family and her parents were reasonably well off.  Can any one give me ideas where or how I could continue my search for her ? I have no idea if she married but of course she may have changed her name. I have spent the day searching all the Margaret Jones I could find. Then I began on all the Margarets in the 1901 census who gave the USA as place of birth. I'm not having much success ! Not surprising with such a common name. Just wondered if there is anything I may have missed. Thank you. 🤔
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Jones
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
I have no idea if she married

Was her death registered as Jones?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
There are 4 deaths for Margaret Jones, 1926, in London.
Your Margaret would have been about 49 when she died - none of the 4 deaths are close to that age.

Which implies that she died under another name?

EDIT:
However, there are these deaths?

March qtr 1927
Wandsworth Registration District     vol 1d, page 625
Jones, Margaret     age 51

June qtr 1927
Poplar Registration District     vol 1c, page 371
Jones, Margaret     age 49
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrard and CarolW.
I'll check both these.   It's bad enough searching for someone in "her line of work " but with the name Margaret Jones it's even worse. She may have married and I did search a bit on that yesterday but I think I'll have to be very systematic. But then of course she may have changed her name ! Nightmare !   Then of course she may not have been a prostitute but maybe kept an illegitimate child and the family story was whispered incorrectly. Poor woman ! I'll keep going . Thank you.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork