Author Topic: Mary FITZGIBBONS b Ireland, ch (JOHN) GEORGE & ALICE + KING & WEBSTER  (Read 1696 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary FITZGIBBONS b Ireland, ch (JOHN) GEORGE & ALICE + KING & WEBSTER
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 July 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
A bit more info
0ctober 1st 1879
Mary, Alice, Harriet and Mary Ann admitted to Holborn Workhouse and discharged the same day.

7th September 1886 and discharge 9th September 1886
Mary and Harriet in Westminster workhouse
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 July 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much again all. I'm so glad I posted this thread as I have been wondering for a very long time.
I won't be able to properly think about this until tomorrow, but it looks like my widow Mary is Mary Tobin after all. I think I thought this at first a long time age, then changed to the idea that Mary Tobin must have been the other Mary, wife of Thomas, who now turns out to be Mary Morrissey.
I did do some investigating of the workhouse records ages ago at the library, and think I might have found something about a Thomas and Mary there, as well as the records above. I wrote them down & need to investigate them tomorrow, but I think that might have been why I changed away from my Mary's being Mary Tobin. I think I might have also found a George in a workhouse somewhere too, maybe in 1881.
That wedding between Harriet & Thomas Leader's having a witness of Alice Webster seems to be pretty convincing to me that Alice might have been Harriet's sister. Getting the birth certs of Harriet & "Female" (who could be Ellen) may have been a good thing to do after all!
Maybe my Mary just liked coachmen!
I wonder how George comes into it. Was he really the father of George & Alice? Was he still alive when they married? Should I be thinking that Mary married Michael, had James & female (?Ellen), had George & Alice with George after Michael presumably died (which was what made her a widow), & then had Harriet & Mary Ann with Thomas? It does seem more likely than that she just met George later & George & Alice called him their father, especially if Harriet kept calling Thomas her father until she married the same year as George.
questions questions questions
Thanks again.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Could you please tell me what indexes you have been talking about? I'm not in England. I can't tell easily what the mother's name is. Freebmd tells you mother's name from 1912.
.. have been investigating my old written notes ...
Thomas & Mary in the workhouses were a married couple b 1801 or 1807 & 1794 or 1795 who were repeatedly admitted to City Road or St. Luke's workhouse from Shrewsbury. Mary died about 1876 and Thomas 1871. She was a Laundress.
The George I vaguely remembered about was in Stockwell Fever Hospital in 1881 aged 15. That seems to make sense to me. Does that seem reasonable e.g. in terms of distance?
Also, I've found James's death in St. Giles in 1862 as well as his birth. I've also found in St. Giles a death of an Ellen in 1890 aged 25, and a birth & death of another Mary Ann in 1873 & 1874.
I don't know what happened to my Mary yet before 1871 or after 1881. I think my best bet will be to get the marriage of Mary to Michael.
Thanks again.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 August 17 06:30 BST (UK) »
The new GRO Index Search shows Mother's maiden name for nearly all births, from 1837 to 1915 ;D
It also shows ages at death for the same period. (But doesn't differentiate between years, months, weeks and days!)

You have to register, but it's free to use.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 August 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you! How good is that!