Author Topic: Very Hard to Research  (Read 2934 times)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Very Hard to Research
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 July 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
i have no idea how to shrink this sorry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 31 July 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
William married in district, Banbridge, Address Arghaderg Antrim, religion, roman catholic.

Someone has certainly made a mess of that one  ::)
Most likely to be Aghaderg Catholic Parish in Counry DOWN- the records start quit early-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0436

Regarding this: "It is beleived he died in 1875 in America and there was quite an argument over his will."
It may be that Louis didn't leave a Will and his estate was complicated to sort out amongst his relatives in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 July 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
That Will is from Buffalo, Erie, New York
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 July 17 18:56 BST (UK) »

I know you are looking in America, but there is a record on Ancestry and find my past for a Mr L Colligan who went to Australia in 1857.
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
Regarding this: "It is beleived he died in 1875 in America and there was quite an argument over his will."
It may be that Louis didn't leave a Will and his estate was complicated to sort out amongst his relatives in Ireland.

Good point, aghadowey.   :-\

heatherwalsh, maybe we can backtrack a little.  You mentioned that the elderly family member remembers the will, remembers Coffeyville, Kansas and that Louis passed away in 1875.

Would it be possible to gently ask the family member some questions (not for her to prove her information, but to gather additional clues).

Coffeyville - Does she remember Coffeyville because of the unusual name, because it was mentioned so many times, because another family member visited at some point, because they have a letter sent from there, etc.  Perhaps if it is found out why she remembers Coffeyville, that could tell us if he passed away near there, lived there at some point, got married there, etc.

1875 - She wasn't around at that time, so I wonder how she remembers it was 1875...was another family member a certain age when Louis passed away and she's "doing the math"?   [Note:  When questionning my mum about family members and ancestors, she usually mentions how old she was (or, how old her mum was) when the event happened, so we can then do the math and get an approximate date of the event.  Hope that makes sense.  ;) ]  I wonder how she remembers the date of his passing.

Make his fortune - My guess would be that he arrived in America/Canada after 1850, and possibly after 1860?  If he had left earlier, wouldn't he have tried to help his family back home either with sending money back home, or assisting relatives with a passage to North America?

I hope you know that we are asking questions, just to look and find little clues that might help us.   :)

PS  Another name change could be Colgan (if that hasn't been already mentioned).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 August 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Just an update,  the information had come from the elderly ladies, grandmothers letters.  we have her daughter now in the process of going through all of the letters for us  so we can dechiper the information properly........i will repost when we have better information.   thank you to all for your time and help so far........hopefully when i get more substancial info we can then proceed.    thank you once again