Author Topic: Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Fatality  (Read 972 times)

Offline Dunadry1936

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Fatality
« on: Sunday 30 July 17 06:16 BST (UK) »
This is my first post to this group. Am hoping to get a lead on how to find out about an accident in which my ancestor was killed. He was David Boden/Bowden, station master at Cooktown Junction and was apparently killed by the Derry Express. Not sure of the date but think between 1895 - 1905. Any ideas where I should look? I am searching from Australia.Have tried railways archive.co.uk but no luck.
Thanks
Boden  McCleary  McCloy  O'Neill McCrea Rainey

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Fatality
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Welcome to Rootschat :)
Its a bit earlier but there are a couple of reports in Irish newspapers around March1877 re an accident and subsequent death of a "surfaceman" David Bowden working on the line near Dunady Railway Station who didn't hear the warning whistle of approaching train,attempted to get out of the way but sadly slipped and fell.
Available online from for example Findmypast and probably other sources eg  https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/titles/londonderry-sentinel
Can pm with details once you havemade three posts.
Cathy ;)

Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Death listed under Boden (1877 Antrim registration district 2nd quarter volume 6 page 1) and he was age 35 according to Irish Genealogy database. The certificate isn't online there yet but scanned image would be available through GRONI for a few credits.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dunadry1936

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 17 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the lead. Have looked up the newspaper report and it is my ancestor. The dates make sense along with other information I have. I knew there must have been a newspaper site to look at but didn't know where to start. In Australia the National Library have something similar called Trove which has digital newspapers from all over Australia. You can find it at http://www.nla.gov.au

Offline Dunadry1936

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks have requested the death certificate. What a wonderful site this is - I am amazed. Look forward to using it and meeting people with similar interests. I am a librarian so will try to add useful information to the Australian section of this site for those with Australian research.
Sue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks have requested the death certificate. What a wonderful site this is - I am amazed. Look forward to using it and meeting people with similar interests. I am a librarian so will try to add useful information to the Australian section of this site for those with Australian research.
Sue

Requested the death certificate? The scanned image is available immediately available on GRONI's website after registering and purchasing a few credits.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!