Author Topic: another full day of research  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
another full day of research
« on: Sunday 30 July 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Just some early morning thoughts.

Gone into the 'ether'

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: another full day of research
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
I'm happy for you, and agree that doing research in the real world has the best results, but I don't understand the point about commercial sites selling out to "name gatherers"?

I don't see how the poor research of others has any bearing on the fact that these websites are providing very convenient access to a vast amount of useful records.

The point of being able to see other's trees is to compare your research and make connections to living relatives, it's not telling you that you have to acknowledge them as fact.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Like JAKnighton, I can't really see what the problem is. We all know, and have done for years, that there are incorrect trees on sites, so it is our choice whether or not to look at them. It's the same with the hints, some are so wildly out that it is unbelievable, but then you do also get ones that are helpful.

I don't really see how you can blame a site for what its subscribers put on their trees, the site owners are not there to monitor the trees, just to give access to records.

The mess that is on the Site NOW leads everyone up 'back alleys' to Nowhere -- 

It is up to you whether or not you follow others, most people who are genuinely interested in genealogy know enough not to copy blindly, but to check and double check, as I'm sure you do. I often have a chuckle at where some of my ancestors "originate from" or where they end up. Occasionally I contact tree owners and ask where they got the information, but mostly, if I am satisfied my research is correct, I just ignore them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
Felt my points were too misconstrued to be of value or comprehension... so removed them

As it was just my early morning thoughts.

so gone

waste of valuable space on here

shame I just cannot remove the whole topic.

xin

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 17 04:20 BST (UK) »
I found some rather odd family trees while looking for connections.
Some one with 2 wives with the same first name and children of the same names and dates of birth allocated to each wife.  i know families often used a Christian name again if the child died  but with another wife in the same year?
It was easy to sort out that my ancestor was NOT a bigamist by checking the children's birth's on the GRO and finding the mother maiden name.
It just surprises me that people don't notice such anomalies.
I did however find the descendants of a great uncle who I had not been able track after he left home on another tree so it was not all bad.
I have realized I must look carefully at all trees online before accepting the new information.

Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 17 07:17 BST (UK) »
Felt my points were too misconstrued to be of value or comprehension... so removed them

so gone

xin

This is exactly why I now tend to quote the entire post I am replying to the first time I reply.

When people delete or change their posts after replies have been made they not only mess up the complete thread and make other people's replies seem senseless but I feel they have wasted the time of the people who have responded to their post in the first place.

I understand that people may feel unsure or even embarrassed by what they first wrote but please don't remove or change postings after people have responded.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:52 BST (UK) »

so gone

xin

This is exactly why I now tend to quote the entire post I am replying to the first time I reply.

When people delete or change their posts after replies have been made they not only mess up the complete thread and make other people's replies seem senseless but I feel they have wasted the time of the people who have responded to their post in the first place.

I understand that people may feel unsure or even embarrassed by what they first wrote but please don't remove or change postings after people have responded.

Cheers
Guy

OK OK OK 

let people err - its a human quantity -  of course apart from certain people  -- who never do.

I try not to waste space and I try to be happy and jovial..

MY OP was just me waking up in a 'wonderous' mode... and being silly enough to write it down on Roots..

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
FOR THOSE WHO NEED TO READ 'OP'

another full day of research
« on: Today at 10:22 »
QuoteModify
Well each day lately is full of research and then more research... :)
Which is fantastic, and these days I am lucky enough to have spare cash to enable this...
So at the moment, am I fully paid up member of 2 mains sites...

So both open on the desk top at the same time --- thoroughly enjoying myself.

Reading Wills from the 1600's  and discovering family that lived and worked in a village - just near where I live now ....
Some of the Wills have SO MUCH information and give details of sons daugthers and daughters husbands    -- ok some are darn near illegible and my eyes cross attempting to decipher.   But others are a real pleasure to read.

So information gathered I add to my tree on another site and then look for odds of information on that site.  Which at one time was my main information gathering site.
However  'not so much' now.
For instance last night
I was chasing my  10th g.g. William Phillips - born c 1558 - possibly Leicestershire.  His will was fantastic... but not sure if it mentioned his wife - but it did only mention TWO sons - so I was able to find the deaths of the other boys and one daughter (maybe not so sure about that yet.)
Then I browsed the Trees to see if I could access any added info... and
WELL  I suddenly found that MY gg had relations that were from TIMBUCTOO and beyond  - 

Yet again a case of trust your OWN  research - It is such a shame, that an extremely ONCE worthy site - has sold ?! or prostituted itself to 'Name gatherers'
Because for me the love of this Researching is to genuinely find MY ancestors.. and leave it somewhere for my children  ---   The mess that is on the Site NOW leads everyone up 'back alleys' to Nowhere -- 

EXTREMELY SAD

whoops this was not meant to be a moan...   but it is leading me to the story of the

Hare and the Tortoise... because, in my mind the biggest so called fastest has proven to be far from the most reliable.

ok..  shutting up 

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 July 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Xinia, that makes perfect sense to me and if I have read correctly I agree with what you say.

The online info providers all seem to sometimes chase bulk rather than quality meaning the researcher has to be even more cautious today than in the past when records were searched manually at archives.
That does mean there is not a place for online research as there certainly is but simply that care has to be taken at every step.

I suppose if I was writing this in the 16th or 17th century I would be moaning about the Heralds Visitation records having sold out to name chasing gentry

As you say trust your own research.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.