Author Topic: Military Medal - Action & Award  (Read 1261 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal - Action & Award
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 October 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
The answer is no he didn't.  These awards were published in the London Gazette even if they missed being put on his medal card (they aren't there as you know).   There is no LG entry.

MaxD

PS  You will recall he was in France only from 16 July to 31 August 1918 - the battalion war diary also has no record of a gallantry medal.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 October 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
I used to know someone who had been awarded the Military Medal in Korea. Then it was MM for other ranks and Military Cross for officers. Now it's Military Cross for all ranks.

It was awarded for taking out two Chinese machine gun positions single handed. Didn't mean to, it was just that as he described it, 'I was rushing the position with my section and suddenly to my horror I could only hear the noise of my own boots on the hard ground'. They hadn't followed me. He continued, 'I wondered what was best to do, carry on or run back'. He decided to continue, throwing a grenade at one MG and spraying the other position with his sub mg (Probably sterling).

As you know, you can't throw a hand grenade (Mills Bomb) of WWII type far enough without being in the splinters area. He spent a year in hospital in Japan and was still suffering in the 1980's.     
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Welford1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 October 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
No problem,thanks for your help again maxD.