Author Topic: The Death or Disappearance of Margaret Brown born 1853 in Carham  (Read 1049 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Death or Disappearance of Margaret Brown born 1853 in Carham
« on: Sunday 30 July 17 14:14 BST (UK) »

Thomas Brown baptised in Chevington 28th October 1877 was my Great Grandfather. His Brother John Brown was also baptised in Chevington on 4th August 1880. Their Mothers name was Margaret Brown a single woman. I have a copy of Thomas`s marriage certificate which has his fathers name blank which confirms I have the right Thomas.

Margaret was born in 1853 in Carham to Thomas Brown and Mary Ann Whitehead. Her siblings were George born 1849 in Carham, Elizabeth Brown born 1851 in Wark, Francis born 1855 in Ford, Jane born 1858 in Ford, Mary Ann born 1859 in Ford and William born 1864 in Ford.

On the 1881 Census Thomas and John are with their Mother Margaret staying with their Grandparents Thomas and Mary Ann in East Chevington  others were her Brother William aged 17 and William Mallen aged 32 from Spittal a Boarder.

On the 1891 Census Thomas and John are both saying with their Grandparents Thomas and Mary Ann and their cousin Francis who is the son of Francis senior is also there but where did their Mother go?

On the 1901 Census Thomas, and his wife Elizabeth (transcribed as Isabell) are staying with his Grandmother Mary Ann a Widow in Chevington

Thomas`s grandfather Thomas died 1899 and was buried in Chevington. His Grandmother Mary Ann died in 1906 at Woodhorn glebe at her daughter Jane Watson nee Browns residence.

I haven`t found a Death for Margaret Brown my GG Grandmother and what makes things worse is Francis, Margarets brothers wife is also called Margaret born in 1853 and they lived in West Chevington and Amble. His wife died 1908, I had to trace Francis and his family through the census and it fits in with the timeline when Francis was widowed.

Thomas`s brother John has also disappeared after the 1891 Census so I dont know what has become of them both. I dont know if Margaret had married and abandoned the family or if she died.

I`d appreciate any help in finding what might have happened to her

Susan

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Death or Disappearance of Margaret Brown born 1853 in Carham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
William Mallen aged 32 from Spittal a Boarder.

First thing I would check is to see if she married this chap. 

You could look for him in 1891 to see if he has a wife.  Or look for her using just her first name and birth details to see if any likely ladies come up  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
I never thought about the possibility that she could have married William Mallen but even trying different spellings of his surname he was only on that 1881 census.  :(

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
Carham is right on the border with Scotland - try searching Roxburghshire and Berwickshire as the neighbouring village in Sprouston Roxburghshire and the Coldstream Berwickshire is only a miles away