Author Topic: A plea when requesting a look up.  (Read 14385 times)

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A plea when requesting a look up.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 01:10 BST (UK) »
And when you do get some answers, read them,  don't post the same query on another board a week later.
A common problem with any topic. The ones who repost the same question on the same board without saying what the issue with the original answer was are the ones who wind me up.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
And, please let chatters know what you already have, rather than have them look something up only to be told "I already have that."

Only to find that the information is in another thread, which hasn't been linked to the post. 

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 06:09 BST (UK) »
And, please let chatters know what you already have, rather than have them look something up only to be told "I already have that."

Seconded. This happened to me just last week. Very annoying to spend MY time, only to be told later they already had that information. Wasn't happy. ???

Pay strict attention to what is asked for.  If I ask for the 1920 census, then that's what I am looking for and I don't want the 1910 or the 1930 or the death certificate.

I do agree, however I do find that it sometimes helps to find the 1920 if say the 1910 has been posted.  Very often the information given by the OP to search lacks the detail that could have been given.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 07:39 BST (UK) »

Seconded. This happened to me just last week. Very annoying to spend MY time, only to be told later they already had that information. Wasn't happy. ???

Pay strict attention to what is asked for.  If I ask for the 1920 census, then that's what I am looking for and I don't want the 1910 or the 1930 or the death certificate.

I do agree, however I do find that it sometimes helps to find the 1920 if say the 1910 has been posted.  Very often the information given by the OP to search lacks the detail that could have been given.

I agree. Providing each census can be very useful to put the family in context. James Smith might be hard to find, whereas his wife Prudence, or children may be easier to spot.

A huge clue to breaking down one of my long standing brick walls was in the lodger. I had long dismissed a census find as being the correct family. I eventually decided to trace the lodger and found him to be the key leading to several new discoveries.

I agree with everyone else's peeves.  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
No more special journeys to locations in my county looking things up and taking photos for people as I am fed up that they cannot be bothered to acknowledge my efforts for them.  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
 :-[ :-[ :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[

I posted the same photo with the same request only three weeks apart . . . . . Clean forgot!   Oh how very very embarrassing!

Wiggy.      :-[ :-[ :-X.   Hanging head in deep shame.

(But I did say thank you)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
:-[ :-[ :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[

I posted the same photo with the same request only three weeks apart . . . . . Clean forgot!   Oh how very very embarrassing!

Wiggy.      :-[ :-[ :-X.   Hanging head in deep shame.

(But I did say thank you)

People do make mistakes, Wiggy, and I'm sure that none of us mind too much if requests are repeated, as long as the poster admits the mistake and apologises. Usually a keen eyed Rootschatter spots it anyway and points it out.

My original point is that time is wasted when we are given completely the wrong information to work on, simply because the person hasn't bothered to read their post to make sure it is correct. If someone tells me that X was born in 1845, that's what I'll start looking for. I don't want to be told hours later, "That should have been 1854"

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
But, of course, we all know that it will still happen, and we will carry on as normal because we like the challenge, and otherwise we might end up vegetating in front of the tele.    ;D ;D ;D

Mike

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Very true, Mike, and probably the people who do these things aren't reading this thread anyway.  ;D