Author Topic: Help tracing Robert Shaw Campbell (Irish, Scottish or??)  (Read 8621 times)

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help tracing Robert Shaw Campbell (Irish, Scottish or??)
« on: Monday 31 July 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
Pulling hair out with this ancestor. Would like some help..

My Gt.Gt Grandmother Martha Rebecca Slade married a Robert Shaw Campbell on 27th April 1879 in St.Pancras.

1881 census has Robert Campbell with wife Martha and children. He was born in Ireland in 1857 and was a shoemaker in the Scots Guards.
1891 census has Robert Campbell with Martha and children, including son Robert Shaw Campbell. Birth place Ireland and a shoemaker. So he has been discharged.
His wife Martha Rebecca dies in 1893.
1901 census shows a Robert Campbell living with wife Nelly and his children from his deceased wife. He was born in Ireland and a House Painter.
Unable to find a marriage record for Robert/Nelly

In 1902 his daughter Ellen marries and father's name is given as Robert Shaw Campbell, painter. So the Robert Shaw name seems to be somewhat consistent.

In my attempts to go further back I started looking at his children for clues. I researched his son William, born about 1890 and found a William A Campbell baptism with father Robert Shaw Campbell.
I then searched London and Surrey, England, Marriage Bond & Allegations, 1597-1921 and found a record of William Alexander Campbell marriage to Zillah May Violet Ford Long in 1914.

I then hit upon a record in the British Army WW1 Pension Records 1914-1920 for William A Campbell with wife Zillah. Reading through the long military record his next of kin is given as Robert Campbell living at an address in Eastbourne, Sussex.

Searching the 1911 census for that address I find him but he is living with a Mercy Campbell and his birth place is given as Govan, Scotland!!! NOT IRELAND. He is a general labourer.

So the trail has got muddied after what was a promising start.

I am assuming the SHAW as a middle name is taken from his mother, but could be wrong.
I found ONE Campbell/Shaw marriage in Govan, Lanark for the right period.
However, I can't reconcile with the place of birth being Ireland in the census records.

Can anyone offer some help here please? Are there any other routes I could search or is there anything obvious I've missed?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing Robert Shaw Campbell (Irish, Scottish or??)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
1901 census shows a Robert Campbell living with wife Nelly and his children from his deceased wife. He was born in Ireland and a House Painter.
Unable to find a marriage record for Robert/Nelly

Have you found him on the 1911 census as that will show number of years married.  Where was Nelly born?

Any children born after Martha died?  You can check for their births and then use GRO online to look for mothers maiden name

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

His son Robert Shaw Campbell aged 19 married Sophia Beatrice Charles in 1900.  Father Robert Shaw Campbell occ painter
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
My Gt.Gt Grandmother Martha Rebecca Slade married a Robert Shaw Campbell on 27th April 1879 in St.Pancras.

The marriage cert shows no fathers name for Robert - just shows "Dead"
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Can you tell us where Robert & Nelly Campbell are living on the 1901 Census please? 

Looby

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
They were in Marylebone.  Nelly born London 1867

1898 marriage on freebmd Dec qtr Kensington - one female name is Ellen Annie Jack. 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
Birth Sept qtr 1901 Paddington - Robert Thomas Campbell mmn Jack

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol.
I was looking on Familysearch for Robert Campbell with 1850s as decade of birth....bot he is listed as aged 41 (year of birth 1860)  ;D . Found him now!

Does the Robert Campbell listed in Eastbourne have an age which tallies with the Robert in Marylebone? There is a Scottish Robert Campbell on the 1901 Census in Eastbourne - although sadly not with a Mercy .

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
There is a Robert Shaw Campbell who marries in Marylebone in June 1902. He may have married  Mercy Charlotte Brown.

Looby

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
The 1911 entry has a daughter May born Eastbourne 1898 whereas Robert was in London in 1901

No birth for a May Campbell and nothing under Brown either.  Birthplace of Govan may be an error