Author Topic: Help tracing Robert Shaw Campbell (Irish, Scottish or??)  (Read 8586 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing Robert Shaw Campbell (Irish, Scottish or??)
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
He was a carpenter in both census. I don't think he tallys with any of those on your list in reply 24. Despite the changes in occupation, I think all those entries relate to the same Robert. William Campbell  states in his army record that his father Robert served in the Scots Guards and gives his address as 485 Seaside, Eastbourne which is the address listed for Robert and Mercy in 1911. He also states he has two brothers Henry and Robert. William Alexander Campbell, son of Robert and Martha (Slade) had two older brothers called Robert and Henry. Robert ( husband of Martha) served in the Scots Guards. Seems likely that the same Robert Shaw Campbell married both Martha Slade 1879 and Mercy Brown 1902 and that he does indicate Ireland as his place of birth up to 1901 and then changes this to Govan in 1911.
Don't know if it helps,  but on baptism of daughter Harriet Martha Rebecca in 1880 he gives his name as Robert Shaw SHORE Campbell.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Isobel for the summary...

I was getting confused (not hard)  ::)

I wonder if Robert Snr's Army Record can be found?

I haven't renewed my FindMyPast sub.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
Don't know if it helps,  but on baptism of daughter Harriet Martha Rebecca in 1880 he gives his name as Robert Shaw SHORE Campbell.
Isobel

Looks like he possibly repeated the name 'Shaw' & it has been recorded with a variant from an English accent  ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 19:30 BST (UK) »

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Despite the changes in occupation, I think all those entries relate to the same Robert.
Isobel

I agree Isobel. Think the Census entries relate to the same man.
Wonder who Nelly was if she was not Ellen Jack?

Looby :)

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
The summary tallies with what I already know but thanks for the clarification. I was not that bothered about the occupation changes as many of my ancestors had various jobs.

Annie: The Scots Guards records are for WW1. As it seems RSC snr was born around 1860 I hardly think he would be a private in the army in 1914-18.

Next task is to obtain MC for Robert/Mercy and also contact Scots Guards archive for any records on RSC.

Thank you for all your helps. Any other thoughts would be appreciated from anyone.

He was a carpenter in both census. I don't think he tallys with any of those on your list in reply 24. Despite the changes in occupation, I think all those entries relate to the same Robert. William Campbell  states in his army record that his father Robert served in the Scots Guards and gives his address as 485 Seaside, Eastbourne which is the address listed for Robert and Mercy in 1911. He also states he has two brothers Henry and Robert. William Alexander Campbell, son of Robert and Martha (Slade) had two older brothers called Robert and Henry. Robert ( husband of Martha) served in the Scots Guards. Seems likely that the same Robert Shaw Campbell married both Martha Slade 1879 and Mercy Brown 1902 and that he does indicate Ireland as his place of birth up to 1901 and then changes this to Govan in 1911.
Isobel

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
Annie: The Scots Guards records are for WW1. As it seems RSC snr was born around 1860 I hardly think he would be a private in the army in 1914-18.

Sorry, I didn't lnotice dates, it was the name I was looking for.

Annie

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
I received the marriage cert for William Alexander Campbell/Zillah May Violet Ford Long as William's military record pointed to a Robert Campbell living in Eastbourne. Unfortunately, the MC shows William's father's name as Robert Campbell (Not Robert Shaw) and more importantly his father is a Stoker. This does not match at all with his occupations through the census'. So I am sure this is a dead end unless anyone can shed further light.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Not sure why you were expecting William's father to be named as Robert Shaw as he appears on every census as Robert Campbell. Also the Robert in Eastbourne was a General Labourer in 1911, so possible he could have been employed as a Rivetter in 1914. William A Campbell who married Zillah is definitely the son of Robert who married Mercy in 1902 and was living in Eastbourne in 1911. William's army records confirm this.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)