Author Topic: Help tracing Robert Shaw Campbell (Irish, Scottish or??)  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Vincent30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing Robert Shaw Campbell (Irish, Scottish or??)
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Hoping your still on site.
I am the great granddaughter of Robert Shaw Campbell
My grandfather was William Alexander Campbell, my grandmother Zillah may violet ford long Campbell.
I have no knowledge of any siblings.
i have my grandfathers birth certificate stating that his father is Robert Shaw Campbell- mother Martha Rebecca - re Slade. Residence 45 Harrison St, Pancras. His occupation- painter/ journeyman.
I have just started investigating my family history,very new to all this.

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 12 April 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi. Welcome to the crazy and frustrating world of genealogy ;)

I'm still trying to piece together my ancestor Robert (Shaw) Campbell and haven't reached a definitive conclusion yet. I requested his Scots Guards service history back in August last year and after many delays I received the information the other week.

His name on the attestation paperwork is Robert Campbell (No SHAW). So from my information the middle name of SHAW is only used on Birth, Death and Marriage records, NOT Census and military.

States he was born in Antrim Town in the County of Antrim. His trade was Shoemaker at the time of enlisting. It states he was Released from Antrim Artillery Militia prior to his enlisting in Scots Guards.

His attestation was recorded on 6th November 1877 in Glasgow where he had his primary medical. His final medical examination recorded on 14th November 1877 in London. This is the only tenuous link to Scotland I can find. All other records state birth place Ireland.

He spent 6 years in the Scots Guards from November 1877 to November 1883 where he was transferred to the 1st Class Army Reserve all of this time as a Private. He spent 6 years here to 1889 where he passed a medical in January 1890 and signed for a further 4 years in General Service Infantry before being discharged on 12th January 1894.

His next of Kin is given as Martha Campbell nee Slade.

Robert received a pension from 1890 to 1894 of 4d per day.

All of this service appears to have been spent in London. In 1896 his daughter Martha married and his occupation is given as Railway Porter. In 1902 his daughter Eleanor Jane marries and her father's name is given as Robert Shaw Campbell, House Painter.

Included with the Military records were some letters. The first letter is dated 26th Feb 1926 and is written by N.E Watts (retired Sgt.Major in the Reserve) to Scots Guards Regimental HQ on behalf of Robert Campbell. It states that Robert is in very poor circumstances and in need of help. It also states Robert enlisted in the Eastbourne Division of the Sussex National Reserve in 1914 and served until June 1918 (This would have been the early version of the Home Guard or Royal Defence Corps). he says he is living in 34 Leslie St. Eastbourne.

A reply from the Regimental Adjutant comes back offering a cheque for £1 to help Robert and N.E Watts replies on behalf of Robert stating how grateful he is and how pleased he was to be recognised still as a Scots Guardsman.

These letters provide a link to Eastbourne. I found a death record for a Robert Shaw Campbell on 6th November 1936, aged 77, where he died of heart failure and chronic bronchitis in Eastbourne. The informant is a George Edward Simmonds on behalf of Widow, but no name given. Assume it is Mercy??

On the subject of your Gt Grandfather William A Campbell I have his MC to Zillah May in 1914 in London and father given as Robert Campbell, Occ; Stoker. William is a Private in the Scots Guards so that's a link but I'm still not sure about the Stoker occupation.

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse at all. If you have any other information that I don't I would be very happy to see it. There's been too many brick walls and curve balls thrown on Robert (Shaw) Campbell that it's almost impossible to know for sure if he is my real ancestor although a lot of the boxes are ticked.

Finally I've started looking for anything on the Antrim Militia hoping it may have records showing who Robert's father was but that's a long shot. Earlier posts here suggest he could be illegitimate.

Good Luck.

Offline Vincent30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 April 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for sharing your information.
My grandfather William also lived in Eastbourne.
I will certainly get back to you if I find out anything more.
It may be some time.
Kind regards 

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 13 April 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
i have my grandfathers birth certificate stating that his father is Robert Shaw Campbell- mother Martha Rebecca - re Slade. Residence 45 Harrison St, Pancras. His occupation- painter/ journeyman.

Hi, I was re-reading this and comparing with my information from Ancestry and find a small anomaly. You say William Alexander Campbell's birth cert states his father's occupation was PAINTER/JOURNEYMAN. I think this is wrong. I have the baptism record for William which states his father was a SHOEMAKER which is correct because Robert was still in the Army Reserve then.

The MC of William & Zillah shows his occupation as STOKER. So maybe you have got your wires crossed??

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 25 November 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Curious to know how your research has gone with William Campbell etc. Did you manage to get to any conclusions??

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick reply but this looks interesting...

SP (scotlandspeople)

SHAW ROBERT CAMPBELL 1862
644/2 33 High Church

Although not Govan, it's also in Glasgow.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n3j/  gets you Shaw Campbell in 1901 Irish census... nothing of use!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 29 November 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
"His attestation was recorded on 6th November 1877 in Glasgow"

What info. re age & parentage was on the Attestation Papers?

Shaw is an Irish surname, Campbell a Scottish surname i.e. his mother was likely Irish & he'd assumed he'd been born in Ireland although of course I may be wrong?

He may have found out at a later date he was actually born Scotland?

I have females in my tree, illegitimate with mother's surname but used their fathers' surname throughout life.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 29 November 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Shaw is an Irish surname, Campbell a Scottish surname i.e. his mother was likely Irish & he'd assumed he'd been born in Ireland although of course I may be wrong?

Since people were travelling back and forth between Ireland (especially Ulster) and Scotland for generations it would be difficult to say Shaw is Irish and Campbell is Scottish. Many, many people with both surnames in both countries.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!