Author Topic: Ragless and Penfold families - Angmering Sussex  (Read 3326 times)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ragless and Penfold families - Angmering Sussex
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks jonw65 for that extra information. I believe Thos Ragless was Richard's father and was the  Parish or Vestry Clerk, a post held for some twenty years from 1764. This would explain why he was a regular marriage witness.

I have found a christening record (albeit only via the FamilySearch site) for a Mary Penfold 1 July  1750 in Shipley, Sussex (although that doesn't necessarily tie in with the practice of marriage in the home parish). She seems to be the daughter of James Penfold (abt 1705) and  Rebekah Toley (abt 1710). Intriguingly I believe Richard and Mary Ragless had a daughter named Rebecca ..possibly christened in December 1779 (!) .... and Mary (if this is "the one") had a sister Jane and brother Henry .....also names given to children of the Ragless/Penfold marriage ......I feel "straws" and "clutching" creeping into this research !

I have not been able to find any reliable burial records for either Richard or Mary. I believe Richard may have been born abt 1751 but there is a christening record in Yapton in 1764....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Do you have any idea of occupations?    My initial thought on seeing the name Penfold was of the traveller families.  I may be completely wrong here but if they were then baptisms could be anywhere.

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately no occupation clues for either Richard or Mary - although I am reasonably sure about his father Thomas being Parish Clerk and their son Henry was "Headmaster" (although there seems to have been only one other teacher) of Older's charity school in Angmering- prior to that he was landlord of the Lamb inn, which still has a room named in his honour. His brother John emigrated to Australia in 1838 and there is extensive information about him and his subsequent business activities on the web. I had noticed references to the Penfold traveller families so I guess that is a possibility ...but Mary Penfold 1750, descended from James and Rebekah (with a brother Henry who may have been the marriage witness) is so far my best bet ...As the Angmering village website is a source of much information about the Ragless family, particularly in relation to their occupation of a specific cottage in the village, I am a bit surprised that there is no occupation detail for Richard, son of the Parish Clerk ....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
the Angmering village website is a source of much information

It certainly is. They have transcribed the marriage witness as Fanny Penfold, but I'm pretty sure it is Henry. None of the signatures are great.
Looking at their transcription of the Angmering marriage register, it's interesting that the only time they have anyone who might be your Mary Ragless (I know there's another one there) witnessing a marriage it's a Penfold one.
17 July 1786, John Wyatt + Sarah Penfold.
The register says he was of Walberton, but they may perhaps be the couple having children in Lyminster from 1787?
From the signature I couldn't really say it's the same Mary, it's not particularly similar, except she's better at writing Mary than her surname! Which may be Radgless, but it's also a faint image on FamilySearch, so I'm not committing myself.
There's a Sarah Wyatt burial indexed at nearby Arundel, 28 June 1804, age 49, and a Sarah Penfold baptized at Angmering, 14 April 1755, daughter of Henry and Sarah, but of course these may all be different people. And we know the online indexes for Sussex are not totally comprehensive.
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
I believe Richard and Mary Ragless had a daughter named Rebecca ..possibly christened in December 1779 (!)
Yes, baptized 5 December 1779, just a few months after the marriage. It certainly is interesting, and may tie in with Shipley.
John

Offline Poppytoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 December 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Following a family death I have found a family tree Pedigree of the Penfold family of Sussex starting with the marriage of Richard Penfold of Angmering and Elizabeth Parsons of Goring in 1570. It is a complete tree up to the mid 1900s.  ‘Your’ Mary was indeed the daughter of Richard and Charity, born in 1749 and married in 1775 to John Clemant and they had two sons, John Clemant b 1779 and Thomas Penfold Clemant. Mary had nine siblings. Not sure how we continue this! Only just signed up to reply to your search!!