Author Topic: Gray/Elliott family  (Read 4453 times)

Offline MissJP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gray/Elliott family
« on: Monday 31 July 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Tracing my gypsy family in Lincs area, but they are so intertwined I am in a muddle. Anyone else researching this family?

It starts getting in a mess with Constance Gray Elliott, who is the daughter of Jemima Elliott and her sisters (Lydia Elliott) husband, Charles Gray! This then makes my GGGGG grandparents the same people - my tree looks odd!

Were they polygymous? Charles & Lydia had children together before & after Constance was born to Jemima, but Jemima married William Newbury.

It's all so confusing!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Gray/Elliott family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 July 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Can you include birthyears and birthplaces please and also marriage years and places
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MissJP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Constance Gray Elliott was born Apr 1836 in Potterhanworth, Linc, to Jemima Elliott and Charles Gray. Charles was married to Jemima's sister Lydia at the time.

Constance married a William Elliott, who I guess must be a relative but I have yet to work out the link. He was born around 1835 in Willoughby on the Wolds, as many of the Elliotts are.

Their daughter Charlotte (1863) married Frederick Gray (1862) in around 1890, and I believe they were cousins. He was also a grandson of Charles Gray, but of Lydia not Jemima. His father was Charles & Lydia's son John (abt 1835). I have his mother as Eliza, but I have no further info on her.

Jemima and Lydia are the children of John Elliott (1775) and Jemima Smith (1776).

I get confused with all the links, so I hope I have this right. If anyone has info on who William Elliott is, who Eliza might be or anything else, I'd be grateful.

I am also curious about Jemima having a baby with her sisters husband during their marriage - was this usual?

Offline MissJP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
I would just love to learn more about the Elliots & Grays, my grandmother just turned 80 and had heard rumours of gypsy blood but they were forbidden to ask about it, so she is pleased that I have found this link.

I have also had my DNA tested, and wondered if there is anything I should look for there?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Constance Gray Elliott was born Apr 1836 in Potterhanworth, Linc, to Jemima Elliott and Charles Gray. Charles was married to Jemima's sister Lydia at the time.

So Charles had an affair with his sister in law resulting in Jemima giving birth to Constance?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MissJP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
It appears so, though they don't seem to hide it as he is named the father and has his surname as her middle name.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
1871 entry as shown on Family Search

Wm Ellitt    Head    M    36    Willoughby, Lincolnshire
Constance Ellitt    Wife    F    36    Branston, Lincolnshire
Lydia Ellitt    Daughter    F    14    Welby, Lincolnshire
Jemima Ellitt    Daughter    F    12    Hameringham, Lincolnshire
Charlotte Ellitt    Daughter    F    9    Newark, Nottinghamshire
John Ellitt    Son    M    7    Oaknell
Eliza Ellitt    Daughter    F    4    Longham, Lincolnshire
Charles Ellitt    Son    M    3    Bilingborough, Lincolnshire
Cristopher Ellitt    Son    M    1    North Kyme, Lincolnshire

Offline MissJP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's them. I think William and Constance are related (besides marriage) though have not found the link yet.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
What information does the 1856 marriage certificate between Constance Gray & William Elliott give regarding William Elliott and his father
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk