Author Topic: Mary Jane Clement (Parker)  (Read 2500 times)

Offline diane crane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Jane Clement (Parker)
« on: Tuesday 01 August 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
This is Mary Jane Clement (Parker). Born 1863 in Liverpool. Her father Henry Parker was born in United States 1838 and was a Merchant Seaman (?African American). He is so difficult to find out about. I cannot find marriage to Mary Janes mum Elizabeth or his death but she becomes a widow by 1881 with 7 girls.  :o
Parker, Clement, Crane

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Mullato
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Replies to this post can be found here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=776155.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
I presume since you have re-posted your photo on this board it is for restoration. so here is my attempt.
I was surprised to read on your other post that the word mulatto appears several times on the American census reports and this is why you have used this to describe your gt. grandmother. I was always brought up to understand this was a derogatory name for a person of mixed race as it originated from the slave trade when a child was born to a slave and its father was the white plantation owner.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 05:08 BST (UK) »
My try. Lovely photo. She reminds me a bit of the actress Diahann Carroll as she looked when she starred in the late 1960s sitcom "Julia".
Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 06:33 BST (UK) »
color one

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
I agree with Pat, the term should be consigned to that sick place in history. She was what she was... a beautiful woman.

Offline pablo59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 17 04:51 BST (UK) »

Offline pablo59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 August 17 05:08 BST (UK) »

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 August 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
I presume since you have re-posted your photo on this board it is for restoration. so here is my attempt.
I was surprised to read on your other post that the word mulatto appears several times on the American census reports and this is why you have used this to describe your gt. grandmother. I was always brought up to understand this was a derogatory name for a person of mixed race as it originated from the slave trade when a child was born to a slave and its father was the white plantation owner.
Pat

The word mulatto like many words is only derogatory when ignorant people wish to use it in a derogatory way.
It is actually a Spanish/Portuguese word for mixed race, used before being associated with the slave trade.
In a similar way the Spanish word caste (casta) has been misappropriated and used as a slur.

We are in the 21st century and should be able to construe the true connotations a person is putting on the words they use by the context rather than the simple word.

To me mulatto is a beautiful word like the lady in the photo, which like her exudes exotic charm and quality.

Please do not drag language down to the lowest common denominator as if we do we will always live in the gutter.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.