Author Topic: GENEALOGY - You know it's time to give up when....  (Read 2913 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GENEALOGY - You know it's time to give up when....
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 August 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
I sometimes carry on working too late.  The other night I entered a birth year as 1884, after the person had married :-[ .  I had meant to type born c1848.  I can just imagine the people talking about me on FB now about how I obviously didn't do research and just added random people.  I had researched very well IMO and had 8 pieces of evidence that allowed me to approximate year of birth.  I just can't type while tired and really should learn not to do that but when you're on a roll...........
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:26 BST (UK) »

;D ;D Like xin, giggling.

I too have had many laughs and it's far from boring, despite what my family thinks about my "dead people".

Finding that elusive link, making copious notes in my book I keep next to the pc, only to find the next morning they make absolutely no sense at all!!!! ::) ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 August 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
i am guilty of the mis writing ..confusing notes when sleep deprived + when eyse strained

now long lost cousins have been found family is interested again but want facts allllaid out clearly and some are still
hypothesis

i thought it would be over once we discovered mums grandma but her husbamnd is proving interesting and i want to know what happened to the other 2 cousins half -siblings of the one we found
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 August 17 06:16 BST (UK) »

Exactly, my maternal grandmother was a mystery, but finally found her parents, but her mother seems to have had another child and died giving birth, and have finally got a lead on OH's grandparents, so........  ::) ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 August 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
when...
You have been searching for years and am no further than when you first began looking for these people and you start to think 'this one is close enough, I'll use these people.
But for some stupid reason you come back the next day and go over everything you have and get as frustrated as you were yesterday ::)
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 August 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
Some one who has a tree on Ancestry should really give up. It has a relative marrying for the third time 30 years after he had died. ::) , but I'm sure we've all made little mistakes at some point . ;)

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 August 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
when...
You have been searching for years and am no further than when you first began looking for these people and you start to think 'this one is close enough, I'll use these people.
But for some stupid reason you come back the next day and go over everything you have and get as frustrated as you were yesterday ::)
Bev

Oh tell me about it. I am doing this with a line that I have become quite fixated on and have found a very potential candidate but not found anything concrete yet. I go over everything and still get frustrated.

But I will keep plugging away at this line as it seems the generation before has had concrete evidence turn up and they trace back to North Norfolk.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 August 17 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Coombs,
I am so glad your people seem to be working out for you, because not one of the lot I am trying to find have been born, married or died according to all the genealogy sites I go on!
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 August 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
Sometimes mis-writing a date happens. I've been so used to working in the 1700s that if I get a line back earlier I end up writing 17-- instead of 16--. Some mistakes are understandable and when you notice it's a big whoopsie moment.

One of the biggest crazy trees I ever saw was one that got back to the 1700s, apparently typo'd a date to 1800s but then started going back again from the 1800s. I was gobsmacked. It was an absolute masterpiece of sheer wrong.

I do dislike reading Ancestry trees. Some of the things you see on there make you lose a small amount of hope for humanity.