Author Topic: Joseph Webster of Repton  (Read 960 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Joseph Webster of Repton
« on: Tuesday 01 August 17 18:39 BST (UK) »

I am helping two people with the same basic tree but all of us have hit a tricky wall can anyone help please?
To summarise:
we know
 Emily WEBSTER  bapt 1 May 1831 Repton to Joseph and Mary WEBSTER  is Carol's ancestor and
Clara WEBSTER bapt 4 Oct 1836  Repton to Joseph and Mary WEBSTER  is Brian's ancestor

both appear on the 1841 census with Mary with John and Ann PArKeR

HO107/ 192/4 fo51 p16    ed: Burton upon Trent, Repton 14
Hundred:   Repton and Gresley

Ann WEBSTER bapt 29 Aug 1818 Repton to Joseph and Mary WEBSTER  married John PARKER Q1 1841 Derby District

Emily is on the 1851 census with little brother John Mary was born at sea 1796 (she is also on 1861 and 1871 censuses)
HO107/2011 fo 408 p5   
sch:18  Repton

Brian has the marriage certificate of Matthew MATLEY and Mary WEBSTER
15 October 1849   -
Residence   Milton in the    Milton in the
      Parish of Repton   Parish of Repton

From the marriage  we know the Mary on both the above censuses was the daughter of John BROWN a labourer

Children for Joseph and Mary Webster were baptised 1816-1840 in Repton Derbyshire but John bornq3 1839 had a mother nee ROUND re GRO index he is with Mary webster in 1841 and with Mary Martley in 1851 was this a clerical mistake or what was going on that his mother was not nee BROWN?

So far so good but what we don't know is
When did Mary BROWN marry Joseph WEBSTER
Why was John BROWN a labourer, travelling between Holland and England   or was he/?  All we can be sure of is that Mary and her mother were on that journey.
She is not the Mary Brown  daughter of John BROWN and Sarah  baptised in 1794 in Repton that one married  in Thomas COXTON in 1815 or os it possble that Thomas COXON died very soon after the marriage but there is no marriage for a Mary Coxon and Joseph Webster

We would be very greatful for any thoughts about the problems here
Thank you
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Webster of Repton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 17 06:52 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if Joseph had previously been married?
Boyds Marriage index shows a Joseph marrying a Mary INGRAM in Repton in 1808 both were of Bradby There are two children baptised 1809 & 1810 in Bradby and a burial for a Mary in 1811 but in Bradley could this be Mary Ingram or is it just too far away? If it is her she was born 1787

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
We are now pretty sure our Joseph has nothing to do with Mary Ingram she would appear to marry Joseph son of rRchard and Annwho was baptised in Bradby.

I wonder if anyone can look up an Apprentice paper for us in Derby Record Office PLEASE
Kohn Webster son of Joseph to william ratcliff in 1811
If this has the child's age or abode it will help enormously
This is from a very useful site
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~spire/Yesterday/SettlementExaminationsM-R.htm
Apprentices Repton
6 John WEBSTER son of Joseph WEBSTER Milton to William RATCLIFF Repton Jan 1811
47 John WEBSTER agreement with William RATCLIFF Repton Feb 1811

Why would a child be put to a parish apprenticeship if his father was alive and well?
Any thoughts on that will be helpful to

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Think you have not understood the info on Yesterday's Journey.

The apprenticeships listed are not Parish Apprentices, the heading states

Apprentiships.  and then Parishes

This in order for you to find the parish in which you are interested, in your case Repton.
It is not suggesting they are Parish Apprentices.

The date of 1811 would suggest the date of the apprenticeship which usually took place aged about
14 years.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
All lists of Apprenticeships attributed to Parish records that i have seen in other Record offices have always been for parish apprenticeships ie  apprenticeships found for children of poor families  I have never found a list of trade or craft apprenticeships in parish records but if you have I would love to know where you have found them as it is a topic that interests me. The ones I have found always give the term of the apprenticeship and the trade to be taught usually but not exclusively husbandry for boys and housewifery for girls very occasionally carpentry or shoe making but these are rare the master had to provide living accommodation and was usually a farmer.

eg from Beaford Devon
Grace FOLLAND apprenticed to William WEBBER from age 8 until  21 or got married  to learn housewifery 9 Sep 1781.
Robert FOLLAND age 9yrs was apprenticed to Robert SAUNDERS junior  for Husbandry Work until he was 21 years old. 13 Oct 1790
Robert DIAMOND aged 7  was apprenticed to John ARNOLD of Dolton for North Herepath in Beaford until he reached 24 years of age to learn Husbandry 8 Sep 1804.

Which ever is the case I would still like someone to check the wording to see how long the apprenticeship was for and for what purpose

mcmullin.me.uk