Author Topic: Charles MacKenzie, natural son of Sir Alexander MacKenzie 2nd Baronet  (Read 3012 times)

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles MacKenzie, natural son of Sir Alexander MacKenzie 2nd Baronet
« on: Tuesday 01 August 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of the Gairloch McKenzie family?

According to the History of the MacKenzies under the following: "IX.  SIR  ALEXANDER MACKENZIE, the second Baronet", it is stated "Sir Alexander had also a natural son, Charles Mackenzie, ancestor of the later Mackenzies of Sand, and two natural daughters, one of whom, Annabella, by a daughter of Maolmuire, or Miles Macrae, of the family of Inverinate, married John Ban Mackenzie, by whom she had a daughter, Marsali or Marjory, who married John Mor Og Mackenzie (Ian Mor  Aireach), son of John Mor Mackenzie, grandson of Alexander Cam Mac-kenzie, fourth son of Alexander, V. of Gairloch, in whose favour Sir Alexander granted the lease of North Erradale, already referred to.  The other daughter, known as "Kate Gairloch,"who lived to a very old age, unmarried, was provided for in comfortable lodgings and with a suitable allowance by the heads of the family." 

Moving on there a group of about 34 of us that we know of that all descend from a William 'Weaver' McKenzie of Sand/Melvaig/North Erradale area of Gairloch through 3 sons and 1 speculative (and very likely) daughter.  Two family lines have proven a Y chromosome that is a 0 step match back to William 'Weaver' McKenzie.  We also show inter matches with the family of Duncan 'Ban' McKenzie (also a Weaver) from the North Erradale/Melvaig area of Gairloch.  As well there is a Kenneth McKenzie of North Carolina highly inter matching.  At this point, I speculate that the father of Duncan Ban McKenzie, Alexander McKenzie, Kenneth McKenzie of North Carolina, and William Weaver McKenzie might be brothers and possibly sons or nephews of Charles MacKenzie listed above. 

I did manage to find a letter that Kenneth McKenzie had written back to Scotland on ancestry.com which was posted by another descendant and that record states,

"State of North Carolina
Robson County
Decem'r 28th 1786

Dear Cousin

I take this oppty' to inform you that I am well and all my family thanks be to God for all it hoping these lines will find you in the same condition. As for my children that I had when I left my native country they are in life and besides them I have goten four more, two sons and two daughters, Kenneth and Margaret were twins, the other two are Janet and Alexander.

I bought a place when I first came to this country but I was forced to retire from their by reason of bad people - and moved five times in five years time. But I have now purchased a place in Robinson County upon the marsh where I expected peace and quiteness.

I desire you to inform me concerning my brother Ivander whether he is in lefe or not for I have not heard of him since I came to this place. I'm very much concerned that I have not heard concerning my relations since I came from there. I would be glad to know how Don'd MacKenneth and his wife is and Alex'r my Brother. I desire to be informed concerning Sir Hector MacKenneth, Laird of Gairlock.

My Compts to you and all friends - I am with regard your friend and Servt,
(signed) Kenneth MacKenneth

Direct your letter to the care of Alex'r MacIver in Crosscreek"

Further up underneath "IX.  SIR  ALEXANDER MACKENZIE, the second Baronet" is stated,

"6.  Kenneth of Millbank, factor and Tutor to Sir Hector, the fourth Baronet of Gairloch, during the last few years of his minority.  He married Anne, daughter of Alexander Mackenzie of Tolly, with issue - (1) Alexander, County Clerk of Ross-shire, who married, and had issue - Alexander, in New Zealand; Kenneth, who married twice, in India, and died in 1877; and Catherine, who married Murdo Cameron, Leanaig, with surviving issue - one son, Alexander; (2) Janet, who married the Rev. Dr John Macdonald, of Ferintosh, the famous "Apostle of the North," with issue; (3) Catherine, who married Alexander Mackenzie, a merchant in London, and grandson of Alexander Mackenzie of Tolly, with issue - an only daughter, Catherine, who married Major Roderick Mackenzie, VII. of Kincraig, with issue; (4) Jane, who, in 1808, married the Rev. Hector Bethune, minister of Dingwall, with issue - Colonel Bethune, who died without issue; the Rev. Angus Bethune, Rector of Seaham; Alexander Mackenzie Bethune, Secretary of the Peninsular and Oriental Navigation Company, married, without issue; and a daughter, Jane, who married the late Francis Harper, Torgorm.  Mrs Bethune died in 1878, aged 91 years."

If you notice the "Sir Hector McKenneth" in the letter from above it is the same Sir Hector MacKenzie listed in this section of genealogy.

Charles MacKenzie would be the appropriate age to have fathered the three men who's descendants are now inter matching.  I am interested in more information on this family to see how these three men could be descended in the tree or if they are indeed the children of Charles MacKenzie. 

The Y test used on FTDNA shows a significant mutation which resides in the male direct lines of the MacKenzies of Gairloch. 

Thank you to anyone who can help with more knowledge on the families.  I'm very interested in trying (even if it just ends up as speculation in my private notes) on trying to find the connection between Duncan Ban McKenzie's father Alexander McKenzie, Kenneth McKenzie of North Carolina, and William 'Weaver' McKenzie. 

Jessie