Author Topic: George Cairncross DAVIS  (Read 719 times)

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Cairncross DAVIS
« on: Wednesday 02 August 17 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Is there anyway to find out who lived at 67 Dalhousie Street Glasgow in 1922? Particularly if it was someone with surname Rankin? The transcription of the electoral rolls don't have all the address, just names and image - so trying to narrow the search if possible.

Ta,
Fiona

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Cairncross DAVIS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
Not quite 1922 but -

Dundee People's Journal, 1 March 1930
"Mrs Rankine (67) a widow, who resides immediately above Fox at 67 Dalhousie Street ...."

She was a witness in a trial of the attempted killing of a John Fox, 67 Dalhousie Street, Glasgow. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Don't rely on transcriptions. The originals of the 1920 and 1925 Valuation Rolls can be viewed at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. They contain the address, name of proprietor, name of tenant, and name of occupier.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
Checking the VRs as suggested by Forfarian, you will find the property was multi occupancy. There does look to be a Mrs Margaret Rankin showing there as a tenant between 1910 to at least 1930 when the online VRs finish on SP. Prior to 1910, in 1905 (I haven't checked before this year), a Robert Rankin showed at that address.

For years in between, you would need to check local resources for those periods.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
wow - that's a newbie for me - I didn't know you could simply put in an address and view it across the years on SP. Thanks!

Whats of most interest is the Mr William Davie listed between 1820-1825...I have some war medals of George DAVIS being given c/o Rankin at 67 Dalhousie St in 1922, so perhaps the link is William (older brother to George)

So I'll see if these two guys link up :)