Author Topic: MILNE - Mary, George & James, born circa 1836-41  (Read 877 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
MILNE - Mary, George & James, born circa 1836-41
« on: Wednesday 02 August 17 04:30 BST (UK) »
This post follows on from the one posted here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763041.0

George Milne (baptised as George Lyon) married Agnes Stewart in Lintrathen, Angus in 1836.  Witnesses are not recorded on the Register of Marriages.

On the 1841 census the couple are recorded as George and Agnes Mill living at Kincaldrum.  This spelling of the surname appears on SP as well as the Ancestry and FindMyPast transcriptions.  With them are children Mary aged 4, George age 2 and James age 2 months.   Also with them is May Lyon shown with occupation Farm Servant who is George’s mother. 

On the 1851 census George and Agnes Milne are in Kinnell with children George age 13 born Forfar, James age 11 born Inverarirty and other children born after 1841.  Mary is not with the family and a second Mary is born in Kinnell in 1854.

I have not been able to confirm the date of the first Mary's death or the birth/baptism for her, George and James.  Any assistance gratefully received.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: MILNE - Mary, George & James, born circa 1836-41
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't read anything into Milne vs Mill. They are spelling variants, not different names. I have friends who write 'Milne' but say 'Mill'.

If the second Mary was born 1854, and named after an older sister who had died, there may not be any record of the first one's death. 

Surviving burial records for Angus (excluding Dundee and its main suburbs) are either in the old parish registers and available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, or held by Angus Council and available at www.deceasedonline.com. There is a booklet listing pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions that some RootsChatters have access to. (I have one, but it's not to hand at the moment.)

BTW have you checked the originals of the census?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Re: MILNE - Mary, George & James, born circa 1836-41
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 17 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian.  Thanks for the response.

I wasn't reading anything into the alternate spelling, just including it to save anyone trying find them under Milne.  I have looked at the scan of the census on SP.