Author Topic: Perth Cemeteries  (Read 8602 times)

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Perth Cemeteries
« on: Wednesday 02 August 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
According to the Perth & Kinross District Council website…
There are 176 burial grounds in 132 locations throughout the Perth & Kinross area. On some locations
there may be an old churchyard and a new extension within sight of one another but they will have their
own burial plan and records therefore they are treated as a separate and self-contained burial ground.

The registers for these burial grounds are held at Perth Crematorium.
The majority date from 1900 but a few earlier records are also available.
Perthshire Burial Grounds & Registers
http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/15014/List-of-burial-grounds

Burial Grounds in the P&KDC area.
Perth
Perth (Wellshill +Jeanfield, Greyfriars, Kinnoull), Scone, Abernyte, Longforgan, Auchtergaven, Aberdalgie, Dron, Errol, Inchture, Kirkhill, Kilspindie, Kinfauns, Moneydie, Murie, Old Scone, Redgorton, Rhynd Churchyard and Tibbermore.

Blairgowrie
Alyth Old & New, Alyth Extension, Ardler, Bendochy, Blairgowrie, Cambusmichael, Caputh, Cargill, Clunie, Collace, Coupar Angus, Glenshee, Kettins, Kinclaven, Kirkmichael, Lethendy, Leyston, Meigle, St Martins Churchyard, Grampian View and Kinloch.

Crieff
Aberuthven, Ardoch, Auchterarder Old, Auchterarder Parish Cemetery, Blackford, Braco, Comrie, Crieff Cemetery, Durdurn, Dunning, Findo Gask, Fowlis Wester, Logiealmond Cemetery, Logiealmond Churchyard, Methven Cemetery, Methven Churchyard, Monzie, Muthill Cemetery, Muthill Old, Trinity Gask, Monzievaird & Strowan and Glendevon.

Kinross
Kinross Kirkgate, Kinross North, Orwell, Cleish, Blairingone, Portmoak, Dunbarney, Abernethy Old, Abernethy New, Forteviot, Forgandenny, Fossoway, Arngask, Kinross West, Kinross East Old Ground, Milnathort and Path of Condie.
Note: I have no idea why there are several Perthshire cemeteries in with Kinross.

Pitlochry
Aberfeldy, Amulree, Ardeonaig, Blair Atholl, Dowally, Fonab, Fortingall, Foss, Innerwick, Kenmore, Kilmaveonaig, Kinloch Rannoch, Lagganalachie, Little Dunkeld (Old & New), Logierait, Pitlochry, Pitlochry Dysart, Struan, Tennendry, Tummel, Hillhead, Dull and Weem.

There are three books in the Perth Library which should cover most, if not all, of the above cemeteries.
Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in North Perthshire by John & Sheila Mitchell 1975
Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in South Perthshire by John & Sheila Mitchell 1974
Monumental Inscriptions in Kinross-shire by John & Sheila Mitchell 1967

There are three cemeteries in the City of Perth - Wellshill, Greyfriars & Kinnoull plus a Crematorium.
This is a link to the Perth burgh burial registers, 1794-1855 for Wellshill & Greyfriars Cemeteries:
http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/3887/Perth-burgh-burial-registers-1794-1855
You can search for burials between 1794 -1855.

WELLSHILL CEMETERY
Adjoins Jeanfield Road and was opened in the late 1840's and is now the only one still in use.
Note: Jeanfield Cemetery is a continuation of Wellshill.
Note: The first three photos were taken from the right-hand corner of the red bit and as you can see the cemetery is huge and all uphill.

Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in North Perthshire was written by John & Sheila Mitchell in 1975.
This book covers the three cemeteries in Perth and is in the Perth Library.
The book ONLY covers the red bit in Wellshill cemetery as that is the oldest section.

I copied this from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

PERTH (WELLSHILL) CEMETERY
The 1914-1918 burials are located in many different parts of the cemetery. In the early months of the 1939-1945 War the local authorities set aside a special section in the Jeanfield Division, opposite the Jeanfield Road entrance, for Commonwealth and Allied war graves, and in this section there is a small group of Commonwealth graves. The other Commonwealth graves are in various parts of the cemetery, in situations chosen by those who arranged the interments. During the 1939-1945 war this cemetery was one of those selected for use as a Polish cemetery when Scotland became the base for the Polish Armed Forces in the United Kingdom.  This is at the southern end of the Jeanfield Division and contains over 350 burials. In a commanding position in the cemetery, and north of the Commonwealth 1939-1945 War graves, stands a granite Cross of Sacrifice. There are now around 80, 1914-1918 and over 120, 1939-1945 Commonwealth War Dead commemorated in this site.

This is a link to the Register of the Polish War Graves in Wellshill Cemetery
http://www.ostrycharz.free-online.co.uk/We...llCemetery.html

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Perth Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
  GREYFRIARS BURIAL GROUND
This was part of the ground where the Franciscan Monastery stood until it was ransacked in 1559 by the 'rascall multitude' as described by John Knox the Protestant Reformer.
He wanted the buildings cleansed of idolatry but he tells of the indignation of the mob at the wealth of the monks.
He wrote,
'Their sheets, blankets, beds and covers were such, no Earl in Scotland had better.
There were only eight Friars in the Monastery,
yet they had salt beef, wine, grain and all,
beside stores of victuals.'

This from an Order which had vowed voluntary poverty.

The ground lay derelict for a number of years by which time the graveyard which had surrounded St. John's Kirk became full. The magistrates decreed that the Greyfriars would be the new place of interment.
On the 22nd August, 1580 they paid John Richardson to
'build the burial walls with stone and clay and harl with lime'.
On the 20th December, 1580 it was opened for business when the Kirk Session ordained
'that in all time coming, the yard in the Greyfriars to be for burial'.
There is still one tombstone from that time in the graveyard.
It is very faint but you can just make out the initials and date.
It was for John Buchan who died in 1580.
The graveyard was in use until the middle of the 19th century when a new cemetery was opened at Wellshill.
Burials still took place in Greyfriars, the most recent being 1983.
I believe this was because the person owned a lair.
When I visited the graveyard in the late 1990's it was in a deplorable condition with the walls and tombstones collapsing. In March 1998 the Heritage Lottery Fund awarded a grant of £276,000 towards the restoration of the burial ground. The boundary walls were to be rebuilt as well as the lifting and resetting of fallen gravestones.
A selection of the more finely carved ones are housed in a purpose-built shelter to protect them from the elements. In July 2001, after restoration, the burial ground was once more open to the public.

This is a link to the Perth burgh burial registers, 1794-1855 for Wellshill & Greyfriars Cemeteries:
http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/3887/Perth-burgh-burial-registers-1794-1855
You can search for burials between 1794-1855.

Greyfriars Burying-Ground, Perth
Its Epitaphs and Inscriptions
And a supplement to the above book written in 1895.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
KINNOULL KIRK
lies on the East side of the river Tay opposite Greyfriars Burial Ground. There has been a Kirk here since at least the 13th century but all that is left are some foundations, the Kinnoull Aisle and the graveyard. It is first mentioned in history when a tax demand from the Pope was delivered in 1287 for four Merks (about £2.66p). The Bill must have been paid for on the 4th August, 1514 Queen Margaret Tudor, daughter of Henry VII of England and widow of James IV of Scotland (d.1513), was married here to Archbishop Douglas, Earl of Angus.

In 1635 an elegant marble monument was placed in the Aisle of the Kirk in memory of George Hay (1572-1634), first Earl of Kinnoull and Chancellor of Scotland. He was the second son of Peter Hay of nearby Megginch Castle. The monument is regarded as the finest piece of funerary art in the country.
In the late 1990's the Aisle was renovated and the roof renewed.
The monument does not appear to have been touched since its erection in 1635.
It is in a woeful state - it is described as an elegant marble monument - at one time it obviously was.
Now it is a discoloured, broken, dilapidated work of art which is worthy of restoration.

In memory of George Hay (1572-1634)

I think that photo says it all.
The last time I saw the sculpture there was a bit more white to be seen.

In 1779 the Kirk was renovated and continued to be used as a place of worship until 1827 when a new Kirk was built and the old one was allowed to go to ruin.
There are some fine carvings on tombstones which are quickly being lost due to erosion.
One was erected by Alexander Duff, Boatman, to his wife who died in 1772 and their three children Jean, Alexander and Peter who all died in infancy.
It shows an elaborate carving of a Boatman in his boat with an angel blowing a horn.

From the Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in North Perthshire
1782: John Duff & w Mary Murray, by (sons) Alex, John, Patk Culbart: Alex Duff boatman & burgess Perth, w Jean Thomson 18.5.1772 28,
chn Jean, Alex & Peter who died in infancy: (west side) man in boat, angel blowing trumpet, flanked by initials.
1799: George Lamb 16.2.1790 52, by his widow in Bridgend: Margaret Lamb 8.11.1795 5
1801: by John McFarlane farmer Craig of Clunie, bro Peter b Strowan parish Blair Athole d Bridgend of Perth 18.8.1801 53: an ingenious House Carpenter. There is an epitaph to Peter. It reads,
'Death comes to mortals often by surprise
Death even to Genius a respite denies
Reader reflect, uncertain is thine hour
Prepare to meet your God, while in thy power.'

REGISTERS OF KINNOULL
According to the staff at the Local Archives in Perth Library, there are two books which are kept at the Perth Crematorium, concerning the Kinnoull Graveyard.
One is an index to the burial plan of 1854 and the other is a Register of Burials.
The first entry in the latter is John Reid, January 5th, 1854, and the last one is Katherine Melville Anderson Miller, September 29th, 1965.

Perthshire Burial Grounds & Registers
http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/15014/List-of-burial-grounds

There is also the Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in North Perthshire by John & Sheila Mitchell (1975) in the Perth Library which covers Kinnoull Graveyard.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions for Greyfriars, Kinnoull & the red bit in Wellshill.
Lookups welcome.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
I have to say Buckhyne you have put a lot of effort into this which will be very much appreciated!

I'm a Fair Maid myself but I only have 2 relatives buried in Perth (Wellshill/Jeanfield), my father & an uncle as none of them were born there & both moved to Perth with no relations with them.

Wellshill/Jeanfield is a very well kept cemetery & I admit to having spent time there looking at MI's  :D

I think my father is in 'K' section of Jeanfield area?

I have the details somewhere but I know my way to the grave with my eyes closed  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comments Annie.
At my age & mobility I find that Wellshill/Jeanfield is huge and all uphill.
I much prefer Greyfriars & Kinnoull as they are wee and on the level  :D

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
You're so right Buckhyne....

It's getting like climbing a Munro as we get older as it's fairly steep in places & huge!  ;D

You've done such a great detailed amount of work which will be helpful to many for years to come!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MichaelLyke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 October 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Is there any easy online access for information on the Black family members buried at Methven or Almondbank at all?

Thank you, Michael

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Is there any easy online access for information on the Black family members buried at Methven or Almondbank at all?

Thank you, Michael
This is the link to the thread
Some Perthshire Cemeteries
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777173.0

Almost all of the MI’s are pre-1855.
There are no Blacks in Almondbank>Bankfoot>Auchtergaven Cemetery.
There is only one Black in Methven Cemetery.

74. By David Dow in Pitcairngreen, to Andrew Dow farmer there 24.12.1836, 63 years, wife Ann Black 10.5.1857, 77 years.