Author Topic: Spowage Family Mansfield Woodhouse/Blidworth  (Read 1230 times)

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Spowage Family Mansfield Woodhouse/Blidworth
« on: Wednesday 02 August 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Second guessing myself here ! Help ! okay.....
I have John Spowage b. Oct 1851 Mansfield Woodhouse c. 19 Dec 1851  St Edmund King and Martyr, Mansfield Woodhouse, John was the baseborn son of Hannah Spowage.
 On the 1861 census (mansfield Woodhouse he is with his grand parents John and Elizabeth.
Hannah I found on 1841 census (Blidworth) with John and Elizabeth her estimated  b. 1831, in 1851 census (Bolsover) she is a servant b. abt 1830 Blidworth.
Grandparents of John......John c. 9 Oct 1803 Blidworth married Elizabeth Warrener 5 Apr 1829  Blidworth
Have I lost you yet?,,,,more to come lol
Back to Hannah......apart from finding her on 1841 census with John and Elizabeth I cannot find her birth and or christening with these parents ? The only Hannah coming up is the daughter of Moses and Martha c. 10 Nov 1833 Blidworth.
could some kind person help, feeling like I am going round in circles here lol. I have tried to put as many details as I can above ......many thanks
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spowage Family Mansfield Woodhouse/Blidworth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello... :)

I can't see any baptism either for Hannah :'(

Here a couple of things to give you something else to go on.....

I think this is your Hannah in 1861 = RG09/piece 2530/folio 21/ page 35 - Newbold & Dunston, Derbyshire.

James & Hannah ROLLINSON - both born Blidworth, they have a one year old son John G ROLLINSON born Dronfield, Derbyshire.

Using the new GRO index which gives mothers maiden name - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

You will find John George Rollinson born Chesterfield Union in 1859 - MMN =  SPOWAGE
I see James & Hannah married in Shirebrook Derbyshire.

Marriage at Holy Trinity, Shirebrook, Derbyshire. - 26th Dec 1858 - after banns -
James ROLLINSON, bachelor, full age, Labourer,  residence Shirebrook.
Father = George Rollinson, labourer
Hannah SPOWAGE, spinster, full age, residence Shirebrook.
Father = John SPOWAGE,  occupation = shepherd,
Witnesses = John Spowage X & Mary West X
James & Hannah both made their mark X
~~~

NOTE: there is also a marriage for a Jane Spowage who married James Chantry at Shirebrook, Derbyshire - 9 Dec 1855 - her father was also a John Spowage - occupation shepherd.

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I have all this, it would just be nice to find a christening record for her ! :)
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
I have all this
...... but I didn't know that, I just thought it was useful to confirm her father was John  :(

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
 Any help confirmng her parentage is brilliant :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
"The only Hannah coming up is the daughter of Moses and Martha c. 10 Nov 1833 Blidworth." This Hannah was buried in Blidworth on the 24th November 1833. The couple baptised another Hannah 14 July 1835 in Blidworth Moses was a cordwainer.

No baptisms for a Hannah Spowage with parents John & Elizabeth on NFHS.
 A couple with these names baptised a son John on 3 June 1838 in Blidworth father a labourer.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
The children on the '41 Census are William 12, Hannah 10, Jane 8, Thomas 4, John 3 and Ann 1.

The earliest baptism is for John, as on previous post. Mystery as to the first 4 born.