Author Topic: Gibbons still living around the Minshulls, maybe Haslington?  (Read 832 times)

Offline tonyharrison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gibbons still living around the Minshulls, maybe Haslington?
« on: Wednesday 02 August 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
I've very recently found out quite a lot about my maternal grandmother Ada Swain (nee Gibbons) and her family, farm folk who lived in different Cheshire locations. I wonder if there are Gibbons's still around places such as Church Minshull, Minshull Vernon and thereabouts - ? My great-grandfather William Gibbons is buried at St Bartholomew's, Church Minshull, with his wife Rachel; and the war memorial at Minshull Vernon bears twelve names from WW1 including that of a James Gibbons who was (I have concluded firmly) my great-uncle, killed at Gallipoli in 1915 aged 20 - he's also buried at Church Minshull. I learned from John Headon in Church Minshull that he was visited in the 1990s by a Canadian who was looking up Gibbons relatives there: he was very likely a descendant of my great-uncle Harold Gibbons (born 1902 at Shocklach near Malpas) who went to Canada with his wife Hilda and their children - they'd lived near Malpas, according to my mother's recollection. The Canadian apparently met some Gibbons folk at Haslington near Crewe.
Any of my Gibbons relatives out there, and on this board? And I'm a Harrison, eldest son of Robert William Harrison who grew up in Malpas - I used to have three sets of aunts & uncles in Church Street - so if this rings a bell with anyone...
rgds Tony

Offline marshsparrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbons still living around the Minshulls, maybe Haslington?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
We are definitely related! Both on the Gibbons and Hancock sides. We will have to find a way to share info.
Tony Dobson
Dobson - Cheshire
Rutter - Cheshire
Winstanley - Cheshire
Burgess - Cheshire
Cragg - Cheshire
Gibbons - Lancashire

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
How neat that you have made a connection between you!  Great stuff.  As we aren't permitted to put info re people that are possibly still living, or our email addresses on the forum, your best bet is to use the PM system to send each other your email addresses, and share your info. that way.

Super outcome for you, to find each other through this amazing Rootschat!! 👍👍👏👏
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline marshsparrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.
Tony
Dobson - Cheshire
Rutter - Cheshire
Winstanley - Cheshire
Burgess - Cheshire
Cragg - Cheshire
Gibbons - Lancashire