Author Topic: Transferring files from Win 7 laptop to one running Win 10  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Transferring files from Win 7 laptop to one running Win 10
« on: Wednesday 02 August 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Having just spent an agonising day trying to set up my new laptop I'm now trying to transfer all my files over.  Last time I did this I used Easy Transfer, but apparently it doesn't exist in Windows 10.

I've Googled about and some say I have to buy PCmover Express but others suggest a free tool called WinWin, which I've never heard of before.

I'm not very IT savvy so would greatly appreciate some help/advice please.

Thanks in advance.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring files from Win 7 laptop to one running Win 10
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
If you have a router you should be able to set up a Windows network so you can access files on the old laptop from the new one. Then you can simply copy or move files or folders across as if they were all on the same machine. There are many guides on the internet, such as:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-setup-and-manage-windows-10-homegroup-local-network

Another way would be to buy a USB memory stick of at least a few gigabytes capacity and use that to transfer files. If you have fast broadband you could do the same via the 'cloud' using Windows 10's built in 'OneDrive'.

Just a few suggestions. However you do it, it will take some time.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

My broadband speed is a pitiful 3mbps & has already cut out more than a dozen times today whilst trying to download various software, so I think its going to have to be one of the other options.

The idea of a homegroup sounds a bit terrifying but I'll have a read and see if I'm feeling brave  ;D 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Why not stop "downloading various software" ?

If you are having problems "normal working" then why aggravate the  situation?

STOP!?!

Try the most important tasks? FIRST.

Within the environ of your own domestic network, complete those tasks.
(hardwire machine/pc/ipad/x to router?)
THEN, continue/re-start downloading . . . . .

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Why not stop "downloading various software" ?

I've only downloaded an anti-virus, FTM 2017 & Office.  Unfortunately we don't have high speed broadband in my area so the best 'guaranteed' speed I've got is 1mpbs - the pitiful 3mbps is actually breakneck in my world!

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
Our broadband is also around 3Mb so I share your frustration  >:(

If you are troubled by the thought of setting up a Homegroup, the USB memory stick might be the simplest way. It will be a bit slower but all you need to do is plug it in the old Laptop, copy as many files/folders as you can onto it, don't forget to 'eject' the memory stick before unplugging it to make sure the files properly closed, then plug into the new laptop and copy the files onto that.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

I have all my family history stuff backed up on an external hard drive so I've just dropped everything else onto that too and am currently transferring it all across.  I think I was 'blinded' by using Easy Transfer last time and had convinced myself that it had to be done by a program of some sort. 

I have to say that so far I'm hating both Windows 10 and MS Edge so I think its going to be a difficult few weeks until I get used to them (or revert my browser) - too much change at once me thinks, but at least I've got FTM 2017 working though and my trees are intact, so that's something  :) 

Thanks again for your 'virtual hand-hold' - it definitely calmed my frazzled nerves !

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:51 BST (UK) »
Easiest way ever is one of these Tornado transfer cables on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Tornado-File-Transfer-Tool-NEW-Boxed-/253050361501?hash=item3aeafa169d:g:1hkAAOSw1WJZFb~f
Literally plug into both machines and becomes like a network
And once you have used it sell it back on Ebay
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 August 17 02:51 BST (UK) »
Definitely something to remember for the future - hopefully the very distant future !!