Author Topic: Transferring files from Win 7 laptop to one running Win 10  (Read 1499 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring files from Win 7 laptop to one running Win 10
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 August 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
... I have to say that so far I'm hating both Windows 10 and MS Edge ...

Although I am using Windows 10 I have disabled nearly all its 'Features' and use almost all third-party software: Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice to name a few. I also turned off most of the options under the Privacy settings, and the picture tiles on the Start Menu. After a while it feels more like Windows 7 again  8)

I recently wasted most of a day downloading and installing the 'Creators Update' which is not optional! The only creative thing about it is the rather limited 3D Paint program which is obviously designed by and for children.

Glad you got the file transfer sorted out  :)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring files from Win 7 laptop to one running Win 10
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 August 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
Easiest way ever is one of these Tornado transfer cables on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Tornado-File-Transfer-Tool-NEW-Boxed-/253050361501?hash=item3aeafa169d:g:1hkAAOSw1WJZFb~f
Literally plug into both machines and becomes like a network
And once you have used it sell it back on Ebay
I have one of these and have used it a number of times. When you plug it in to the usb ports on the two computers, you get two Windows Explorer type windows on each screen - one for that PC and another for the remote one. Then (on either computer) it is just a matter of dragging and dropping from one to the other. Doddle.