Author Topic: ROBERT WALKER & HANNAH AULT  (Read 1948 times)

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERT WALKER & HANNAH AULT
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 August 17 22:40 BST (UK) »
sorry - as Joseph and Hannah Kirkland are still around in 1851, it doesn't work that he's the Joseph Kirkland who dies in 1825, killed by a wagon. Hannah Walker nee Ault is a Kirkland "granddaughter" - so there's an extra generation that keeps being missed [not surprising with all the Hannahs].

My suspicion is

Hannah X b Mercaston (?), b. abt 1774. marries  Mr Ault (potentially William) - they beget a number of children, including Hannah b c1810

Mrs Hannah Ault b c1774  is widowed, and then in 1820 marries Joseph Kirkland b Kirk Langley, b. abt 1774 - they are the couple on 1851

her daughter Miss Hannah Ault (b  c1810) has an illegitimate child, again called Hannah, in 1827. She then marries John Alsop in 1830

The illegitimate Hannah marries Robert Walker - claims her father is called Thomas, but may well be telling porkies. Her granny Hannah X Ault Kirkland and step grand father Joseph Kirkland, are living with her in 1851

Offline LizzyW88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 August 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
That's the other theory I'm going with.

Unfortunately the deaths are indexed for Derbyshire at that time, so I can't be certain on a male Ault dying, meaning it is the Hannah Ault marrying Kirkland.

I found a Joseph Kirkland, b. To a Joseph & Ann Kirkland.  That is who I was having marrying Hannah Ault in 1820, he dies, she then has an illegitimate but is claimed to be Joseph's, then she goes on to marry John Alsop.

Again, the problem I have is the mother of Hannah Ault is document as being a spinster.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 August 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
The Hannah Ault who marries John Alsop would only have been 10-14 years old in 1820, going by later censuses, so can't have been a bride then!

She's most likely to be the one who is the spinster giving birth in 1827

As I'm thinking it's her mother who marries Joseph Kirkland, and the Joseph who dies in the wagon accident is a confusing red herring