Author Topic: The Mainland Family  (Read 2163 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mainland Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
On the Halcrow side. PCC Wills on ancestry

Thomas Halcrow Mary's father wrote his will 2 May 1823 probated 9 June 1826.
States he is a provisioner for the Brig Rodney (looks like) of the Royal Hospital Greenwich Kent.
To George Mainland son of George and Mary Mainland, granddaughter Mary Ann daughter of Jane Linah by a previous husband*, Mary Clouston? my sister daughter Mary**, my daughter Mary Mainland widow of the late George Mainland deceased, daughter Jane Linah wife of John Linah.
Probate by executrix Jane Linah and Mary Foster formerly Mainland wife of John Edward Foster.

* this is a fib Jane Halcrow spinster married John Linah 7 August 1814 St George In the East. witness Thomas Halcrow and J ?arsall
** there are no commas so is Mary Clouston?  the sister or his sisters daughter.

The Brig Rodney existed there is an article about it and it was stationed at Greenwich.

ADDED possible burial for Thomas Halcrow 10 September 1825 aged 67 at St George in the East  he was of St John Wapping.

It will be worth your while to contact the Maritime Museum re details of the Brig Luna that George Mainland took to Montreal 1820 plus his career/other ships he sailed on.

John Edward Foster was also a Mariner per marriage of daughter Maria Jane 1839.

There is also the East London Family History Society they encompass the docklands area.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
This is further afield but a John Linah was in the Royal Navy 1803, 1805-1810 and the license to marry Jane Halcrow was applied for through the Faculty Office 1814.
Above found on Findmypast.

He seems to have retired after marriage or shortly thereafter he applied for a insurance for The Horse and Groom Public House, Three Colt Street Limehouse on 1 March 1815.
National Archives Ref 11936/468/904587.

He was a publican when his son John Thomas was born 2 August 1815. and in 1841 Jane age 55 and her daughter Jane aged 20 are in the Licensed Victuallers Asylum St Giles Camberwell.

There is a burial for a John Linah 13 September 1826 age 57 St George in the East he was of St John Wapping.
Possible burial for Jane Linah 6 November 1854 aged 68 St Giles Camberwell from the Licensed Victuallers Asylum.

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 August 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness, I can't keep up. Thanks for all the info on the Mainlands, Halcrows and Linahs. I did have some of it but you have given me some puzzle pieces I needed. I had the names but not where they fitted in.
John Mainland b.1814 died 5 days later. How do we know for certain that this is a child of George and Mary ? I couldn't find anywhere that John was baptised in the Scottish Church although I knew the other two were. 
I had found one possibility also for the death of Mary Foster (Mainland, Halcrow).
MARY FOSTER Thames & Medway Burials Collections fromGreat BritainCountryEnglandCountyMiddlesexYear1831Year Of Death1831 Genes Reunited
I know that Capt. E.J.Foster was living at Trinity house in Kent later on but not sure when he went there.
I shall put a message on for a look-up for your Mary on Findmypast.

Thank you again for your suggestions I'm really grateful.

MAPS

Mainland [Orkney/Middlesex], Hill [London/Bristol], Adamson [Fife], Nicholson [Fifi], Tippett [Cornwall/Devon],
Heays [Tasmania/England], Reid [England/Scotland], Halcrow, Williams and many others.

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 August 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hello amondg, I've been following up on all your suggestions and info and it's really opened up my research areas and I sent off an enquiry to Greenwich and am awaiting a reply.
However I do have one or two questions for you ;
Am still looking for the brig Luna going to Montreal. but have not given up.
Where did you find the birth of John Mainland, sept 1814 and death 5 days later. I can't find this either. Was he bapt. at St.Geo.-in the-East ?
You say that there is an article about the brig "Rodney" I'm sorry but I can't find this either. I did discover on Wiki that the ship's name was changed to "Greenwich" and used as hospital ship.
I'm sorry for being a "Jack Russell" with your info. 
I really do appreciate your advice so thanks again.

Thanks Martin for your tip. I've sent off an e-mail so just have to be patient now.

MAPS

Mainland [Orkney/Middlesex], Hill [London/Bristol], Adamson [Fife], Nicholson [Fifi], Tippett [Cornwall/Devon],
Heays [Tasmania/England], Reid [England/Scotland], Halcrow, Williams and many others.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 August 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
Ancestry
John Mainland- St Anne Limehouse Burials 20 September 1814 age 5 days.
No birth found just the burial but as he was 5 days old born September 1814.

The will of Thomas Halcrow written 1823 he was a provisioner of the Brig Rodney(looks like) third division of the Royal Hospital Greenwich.

Findmypast for the advertisement re Brig Luna.
First put in the name George Mainland and enter, ignore bmd etc. then scroll down to the bottom of the page left hand side and click on newspapers.
Then click on British newspapers and put in the name George Mainland you can then look for 1820 to find the article.

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 August 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks amondg you are a great help.
 MAPS

Offline vetontheweb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 January 22 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just come across this whole thread. A complete revelation! I am a Mainland born in North Shields. I had believed that our line was of a Shetland origin but the good people of Shetland have suggested that we may well be Orcadian. My Great Great grandfather is John Mainland senior, who shifted our line from the northern Isles to North Shields ( Tyneside - and where I was born). My best shot now is that he is the son of William Mainland and Aleson Rendall, William being the brother of George b 1773 from whom your discussion starts. This whole London connection is completely new to me, Tyneside is where I thought it was all happening. Great to make contact.

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 March 23 14:37 GMT (UK) »
HI,
 I've only just come across your post from last year.
William Mainland and Eleanor Rendall had a son Magnus b. 1816. He married a Janet Mainland in 1879. Janet was a daughter of Nicol and Anne Craigie Mainland.
Anne Craigie M. (b. 1782) was a sister of my ancestor George Mainland,(born 1773) son of Alexander & Isobel Morwick.  This family has driven me nuts over the years but I think its all sorted now. You could try Rousay Roots written by the Marwicks. Good Luck !
Now I have to find where a Mainland Aunt of mine who lived on Jersey, Independent Islands is buried. She managed to live through the German occupation as well.
All the best,
MAPS