Author Topic: North East Wales/Possibly Hampshire Travellers  (Read 910 times)

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
North East Wales/Possibly Hampshire Travellers
« on: Thursday 03 August 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have no idea if I'm doing this right or posting it right so tell me if I'm not, but my family have always said there could be traveller ancestors, but I'm not sure on which side as I have found two potential leads, as I know very little about the communtity I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on these families/the likelihood of them being travellers? (this may be a pointless thing to say but all my grandmothers, mothers and my own DNA tests from various companies comeback with chunks of Indian DNA that I can't explain, so I don't know if this is also linked??)

So the two potential leads I have are: Conway family in Bagillt, Flintshire, linked to the Hughes of Bagillt (there's obviously a lot of Hughes so it's the family who had a son called Christmas)

And the Smith/Buckland family who moved from Hampshire to Holywell, Flintshire in the 1850s

There is also a mysterious David Mooney 1818 Ireland that I have very limited information about but I don't know if he is relevant to this story.

Hopefully, I've done this correctly.
Thanks

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: North East Wales/Possibly Hampshire Travellers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hyah, C5. I had to check TBOB (Click the house under my avatar) for CONWAY as I hadn't heard of it. Nor has Bob. Put that one on a back burner then, perhaps? But, Hughes, Smith, Buckland. Then " Indian " DNA ....?! Good grief! This is gonna be good!  ;D

That said? I can't help ye any more, because I'm out of the loop, sites and research wise. But, people here will be streaming the information and asking the right questions , any time now, I'd think.

Sounds a fascinating one too!  :)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. What you said about the Conway's probably correlates as that name was my ancestors married name, Hughes was her maiden name, so as you said I'm best focusing on Hughes, Smith and Buckland.
Also, have you by any chance heard of the family name HOOKER? as my Bucklands were descended from that family as well.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
HOOKER! And Bingo, we hit pay dirt once again!  ;D 1847 - 1907. HRT, MDX, SRY, SSX, USA.

I can't understand why no one's jumped in to have a look at this lot, yet, C5, It certainly looks an illustrious and rewarding set up.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')