Author Topic: Alston: Correct Maiden Name? Armstrong/Elliott/Liddle  (Read 2322 times)

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alston: Correct Maiden Name? Armstrong/Elliott/Liddle
« on: Thursday 03 August 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I would be grateful for any help in working out the right name for a marriage in Alston. I have looked at the BTs on family search and have the marriage:

29 Sep 1770, Alston
Archibald Armstrong and Hannah Elliott.

She was 36 when she married Archibald so it is quite likely that she was a widow when she married him and Elliott was not her maiden name. Some unsourced records on familysearch and random internet pages have Hannah's name as Hannah Liddle but I am not sure where this is from. I have checked all of the children's baptism records and her burial record on the BT but can't find any additional information.

Does anyone have any access to the parish registers rather than the BTs as I know there is often information there that doesn't make it to the BT? Or does anyone have any better ideas one where I can go from here!

Thanks!

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Alston: Correct Maiden Name? Armstrong/Elliott/Liddle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 August 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage on Family Search for a Hannah Liddle to Joseph Elliott on 4 May 1761, St Johns, Garrigill.

There is also a burial for a Joseph Elliott at Alston on 14 July 1768, but there is no age for Joseph so might be a child!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much. That looks really plausible if she definitely is a Liddle, previously married to an Elliott. I just can't work out where that name is coming from!

On family search (which I know can be quite dodgy sometimes) there is a record for her burial which says Hannah Liddle spouse of Archibald Armstrong buried 23 Aug 1805. I've looked put the BT image and for the same date it just has 'Hannah wife of Archibald Armstrong'. I assume somewhere in the mists of family search someone made liddle connection and put in on the record but I have no idea whether to rely on it...

I know that sometimes the BTs miss out detail from the parish registers so I am wondering whether if I can find the parish registers rather than the BT then that will give the right answer...

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
In Scotland women never lost their maiden name, as said here -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=454431.msg3159335#msg3159335

It perhaps was also true in the border country.

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 August 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Checked the church registers today.  Hannah and Archibald were married by banns but the record didn't say whether Hannah was widowed or single! 🙁
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 November 21 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tomatillo,

I would like to chat with you about a shared ancestor on the Taylor side. I hope you get this message.