Author Topic: JAMES DEVITT - DEVITT HALL COUNTY DOWN  (Read 806 times)

Offline maggie2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
JAMES DEVITT - DEVITT HALL COUNTY DOWN
« on: Thursday 03 August 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Devitt Hall in County Down, but I haven't any idea of the town, so wondered if it was possibly in County Antrim as James son Clotworthy was reportedly born in Antrim

James Devitt was recorded as the father at the wedding of his son Clotworthy Dobbin Devitt to Jane Buck in Dublin 6th Oct 1816.  A newspaper article states that James was from Devitt Hall County Down

From the English Census records my 3 x great grandfather Clotworthy Dobbin Devitt was born in Antrim around 1790 and his father was stated as James a Farmer on his 2nd marriage to Jane Willats 07/06/1851

Clotworthy's first marriage was to Jane Buck at St Mary's Dublin in 1816 and they had 10 children.  Jane died in 1832 with Cholera.  I have traced 4 children who were living in England and a further 2 from newspaper articles. 
Andrew abt 1818 died 1841
Anna Maria b.1823
John Furlong b.1824 d. 1905 my 2 x great grandfather
Daughter b.1827
Alicia b.1831 d.1894
Walter Worthy b.1824 d.1910
All of these children were born in Dublin

Does anyone know of a Devitt Hall in County Down??

Regards
Maggie. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES DEVITT - DEVITT HALL COUNTY DOWN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this yet?

Clotworthy Dobbin Devitt on list of Insolvent Debtors (Perry's Bankrupt and Insolvent Gazette (London), 23 Oct.1828)- St. George's St. Dublin, spirit-dealer, trading under Thomas Devitt & Co.

and

The Bristol Mercury (Bristol), 7 July 1832: petition from Clotworthy Dobbin Devitt asking for redress regarding sudden dismissal from General Post Office without any reason being assigned and an inquiry into frauds in post office also mentioned.

and

The Standard (London), 20 August 1839: Clotworthy Dobbin Devitt late a clerk in the General Post Office, Ireland (there 17 years before 1830), now of Birmingham "gentleman"... long, long article which I have not attempted to thoroughly read
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maggie2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES DEVITT - DEVITT HALL COUNTY DOWN
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your response, yes I have all of that information.  After many years of research we are unable to get any further, but keep on trying, with the hope that any small snippet of information will be discovered and open up another trail to explore.  I found a newspaper article stating that James Devitt was from Devittt Hall in County Down, so now trying to find out where that could have been
Thanks and Regards
Maggie