Author Topic: Thomson's Land,Clarkston,Airdrie  (Read 2116 times)

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson's Land,Clarkston,Airdrie
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 August 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
Yes Ruskie,
That looks like the neighbour hood.
I will investigate that further when my eyes uncross.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 August 17 01:10 BST (UK) »
I think there must be an easy way to move to the next map/maps, but I can't work out how to do that.  :-[ Someone else might know.

It is surprising how often there are requests in rootschat to find "Something Land" - it is generally tricky. I think the NLS should work on producing a map of "Lands".  :) There are a lot of them in Scotland.

Offline idmmdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 August 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
This slightly later, large scale map can be viewed side by side with the modern satellite or map image.
here:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.129999999999995&lat=55.8704&lon=-3.9475&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 August 17 08:28 BST (UK) »
Calder frequently Cauther in Scots!

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 August 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
Just thinking about that 1881 enumerator list. Thomson's Land shows next to the Summerlee Colliery
Surely Summerlee is in Old Monkland? And Clarkston is in the east of New Monkland, with Airdrie between it and Old Monkland. Dykehead Colliery was further south-east-ish again - gave its name to the very famous Shotts and Dykehead Pipe Band.

Of course there could be more than one Summerlee and and there are definitely more than one Dykehead and one Clarkston. Almost certainly also more than one Thomson's Land.

Later: Dykehead Colliery, in the parish of Dalserf and 3 miles east of Hamilton, was owned by the Summerlee Iron Company of Coatbridge in the parish of Old Monkland in 1861 when 13 miners died in a fire. See http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/44.html for all the tragic details.

Did you find one of your Calders in Thomson's Land, Clarkston, parish of New Monkland in the 1851 census, and if so who was it?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 August 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
Forfarian:
I did find them on the 1851 census,but they were at Back Street,Old Monkland. However following the death of their daughter Margaret in 1858 (another story) her address was given as Thomson's Land,Clarkston.
Margaret was found dead at 6am at Coatbridge Railway Station on 2nd August 1858 aged 11.
"cause of death not known". That's all I can find out so far. I have her death cert. She was buried at New Monkland Churchyard.

To Skoosh:
You already answered my next question. On a few occasions the name Calder was referred to as "Cathers". I know that names changed due to local dialects but that seemed a bit of a push.

Thanks to all

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
That's a pity. If the 1861 census had been on FreeCEN I would have gone to that, found them and listed all the other places in the enumeration district in order, which (unless the enumerator was going around randomly) should indicate where Thomson's Land was in relation to the streets.

So it needs someone with access to a library where they have the New Monkland census on microfilm to do that exercise.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
Margaret was found dead at 6am at Coatbridge Railway Station on 2nd August 1858 aged 11.
"cause of death not known". That's all I can find out so far. I have her death cert.
Did you check for a correction (Register of Corrected Entries?) Normally you would expect to find one which might give more information.

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 August 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
Yes,Forfarian I did but no mention of post mortem or anything.
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal