Author Topic: Tidy up and dating please Two boys in Vivary Park  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tidy up and dating please Two boys in Vivary Park
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 August 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Carol

I'm very interested in you theory of the 50's era....

With the whole collection, I do have photographs that I know were taken in the 50's, comparing this with a photograph of the 50's very different type of photographic paper, this is more like a card type, where the known 50's are more fine and slicker.  Then comparing tonal rage, this photograph is very limited and much darker, where the photo's from the 50's have a larger grey scale tonal range.

Other indicators, I do know Vivary Park, and where the Lads are stood is near the War Memorial now stands,  which has a large area of Tarmac surrounding it..  Vivary Park is in Taunton Somerset which  was the headquarters for the Somerset Light Infantry.

Another problem, is that I know via likeness (the lad on the left is a splitting image of a nephew) that these are family members, but I don't have any male candidates that would fit the likely age, within the 50's era..   

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 August 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
I usually wouldn't dare argue with Carol but I think that she is miles out on this one. I get the feeling that its more like 1920's. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 August 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
I was thinking it was more 20s or 30s too.  I've been trying to enlarge the figure in the background to get more info.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 August 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
I was thinking late 30's, as I have photos of my husband around that time in England that look similar,

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 August 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Looks like 2 teenagers in big brothers cast offs. Shoes look though they've seen better days and could be hand me downs. They may have thought they looked very grown up.

I have a photo of my father aged about 11/12 in short trousers but my uncle 17/18 years old has a suit on which is very similar to the ones these lads have on. Going on my father's age it would be 1927/8 which I guess puts this picture in the 1930s as the suits are very worn.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 August 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
This is getting intriguing indeed...

In this generation of the family, boys that come anywhere to fitting age group/gap is as follows

William (the one I believe is the right hand lad) brn 1896 died 1916
Francis (who I believe is the left hand lad) born 1898

The two other brothers in this family

Bertie brn 1900 died 1920
Stanley brn 1920

As you can see, if it's around 1920 I can rule out 3 of the brothers out, two had passed away and the last brother was only a toddler!

I do have a photograph sorry it's not great as from local newspaper, of William in army uniform, taken 1915/16 as you can see his lance corporal strip.  Could this be the lad on the Right

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 August 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Jo  - Is there any chance of you being able to enlarge (on a new scan) the right face and the lady in the background on the original photo and just put up the snips of those. 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 August 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Gadget I will give it a try

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile