Author Topic: Tracing Campbell and Livingston family from the Argyllshire area  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Maverick1975

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Campbell and Livingston family from the Argyllshire area
« on: Thursday 03 August 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am working on trying to go back further than I have with my Scottish ancestors.  My great+ grandparents were Hugh Livingston (b. 1811 plus or minus five years in Argyll, Scotland but I have no more information than that) and he died between 1845 and 1851.  His wife, Euphemia (Effie, Effy, Effa) Campbell was born in Kilfinichen, Argyll, Scotland in 1802 (or roughly).  They were married in Morvern 3 August 1829.  They had 8 children that I know of. After Hugh died, Effie and the kids made the trek to America and settled down in Lawrence County, Ohio close to other Livingston relatives. I actually believe they settled close to one of Hugh's brothers but I cannot prove that at this time.

I am looking for a death cert, burial, grave etc on Hugh if possible as well as birth certificate to try to figure out who his parents were and go backwards from there. The same with Effie. I have a few birth notifications that I think are but I can't narrow it down further than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know what happened to her and the kids going forward but  nothing backwards.

Thank you!

Kristen  ;D

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Campbell and Livingston family from the Argyllshire area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 17 08:08 BST (UK) »

Hi Kristen, and welcome. Do you know what Hugh's occupation was? Sometimes it's mentioned on the marriage entry. It may offer a clue which may help you.
Good luck, Billiegirl  :)

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 17 08:14 BST (UK) »

Another thought - can you trace back through the other Livingstone relatives in America? You may have tried that already.
I think most of us are stumped with Scottish death records, but don't give up!

Offline Maverick1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Billiegirl! 

On the marriage record it says Hugh Livingston and then what looks like "Kyle" and then Effy Campbell married 3 Aug. I assumed Kyle was where he was from?

On the 1841 census it says that he is a Agricultural Laborer (so I imagine a crofter possibly?). Then in 1851, after his death but before the move to America it says that Effy is a pauper and Farmer's wife & Gen. Labor  and her oldest son named for his father I think also is a Gen. Laborer. In 1841 they were in Achbegg and in 1851 they had moved to Lochaline.

I can try to trace the other family members. Duncan Livingstone (a cousin) wrote to my great+ aunt about going back to the morvern area in 1899. It's his father that I believe is possibly a brother to Hugh but I am not sure. They seemed close (Anna and Duncan) so I think they were probably 1st cousins but that's only an assumption.

It also says on the immigration record that Effy and kids came over accompanied by a Donald Livingston. I suspect that is probably family of Hugh's. Maybe a brother? I am trying to piece it all together and hope one to day to get to Scotland :D

Thanks again!

Kristen  ;D

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 17 04:14 BST (UK) »

I know nothing about American records, but at least you know the county they settled in, so that might be a good place to look for traces of other Livingstones. They may have still used the Scottish naming pattern, so you might notice the recurring first names - first son named after grandfather, second son named after the father etc, although this system declined around the 1850's, in my family at least.

The geographical locations in Scotland are handy background too, if you can narrow them down a bit you can find out a lot on the 'net and failing that, a lovely trip to the land of your ancestors!  ;D

My advice is keep at it, you never know what you'll find and one of these lost Livingstones might even read this and contact you.
It happens quite a lot on Rootschat! (Not to me, unfortunately)!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is Effie's burial?  https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=132429026  Unfortunately, Ohio didn't require statewide vital registration until 1908, so a death record might not exist and, if it did, it may be too early to list parents' names.

http://lawrencecountyohio.com/ is a good site for research in that area.  If you search for Livingston, you may find some results that match this family.