Author Topic: Eshinor of Campbeltown, Argyll late 1600's  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
Eshinor of Campbeltown, Argyll late 1600's
« on: Thursday 03 August 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
I have traced a line back to Campbeltown in Argyll, and came across a 6th Great Grandmother Jean Eshinor. I can't find a record of her birth or baptism, but her children were baptised in Campbeltown during the late 1600's, and some possible siblings also had children in Campbeltown around that time.  Further investigation showed that the surname disappeared from the area during the early 1700's. I have found some other Eshinor's or Ashinor's (or similar) in other parts of Scotland, mainly in Aberdeen from around 1606, but again they seem to disappear during the mid 1700's. 

I can understand the link between Aberdeen and Campbeltown, as they were both important ports.

I have also found phonetically similar names of German/Prussian/Dutch - such as Eshenhaur, Eishenhour / Eishenhower / Eisenhower, but I can't see any obvious link to my family.

I'd really appreciate any insights anyone can give relating to this little mystery.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eshinor of Campbeltown, Argyll late 1600's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 August 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
The Campbell, earls/dukes of Argyll were settling lowlanders in Kintyre in the 17th century, Campbeltown included. Try a post on    http://www.kintyreforum.com

Skoosh.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the web link.

I am aware of the Campbells and their history, unfortunately I have never found any link to the Campbells on my Scottish side of the family.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
Now there's a bit of luck!  ;D

Skoosh.

Black's "Surnames!" has the name Aschennan in Galloway & Kintyre, a John Aschennan, heir to the laird of Park was killed at Pinkiecleuch in 1548 & has a record of an Aschenane in Dhu Knocks, Kintyre in 1376 & in Galloway in 1488. Surnames there frequently dropped the A, Acarson becoming Carson for example & Aschennan becomes Shannan/Shennan etc' from the Gaelic O'Seanain=old/wise. Try the Kintyre site for Shannon. I think this is the name you're after, Black has nothing for Eshinor Lindsay. 

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 August 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Skoosh - I'll check it out. Honestly - you think they'd learn to spell their own name right wouldn't you!!!  ;D (Ha ha ha)

Offline Linda Trimm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 April 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
I need a Scottish translator, wtf are y'all saying?

Her name was Steele. I preferred Eshinor though and am disappointed that that's not a real surname.