Author Topic: How many James Black Johnstons were there?  (Read 632 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
How many James Black Johnstons were there?
« on: Thursday 03 August 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
1. James Black Johnston, son of John Johnston and Janet Black, was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne in 1843. He is with his mother and family in the 1851 and 1871 censuses. He is not mentioned in the will of his uncle William Black, dated 31 December 1888, though his siblings and all of his numerous cousins are mentioned by name.

2. James Black Johnston married Annie Raine in South Shields in 1880. They had a son William, born and died 1880, and a daughter Jessie, born 1882. I have failed, so far, to find them in any later census.

3. A notice in the Liverpool Echo announces the death of James Black Johnston, aged 25, at 92 Uxbridge Street. There is no death in the index of a 25-year-old James Johnston in Lancashire, but there is one in London City. Strictly speaking he is 2 years too young to be No 1, but mistakes have been known to occur.

Plainly there must be at least two James Black Johnstons, as No 2 married and had family after No 3 had died, but which of No 2 and No 3 is also No 1, or are there in fact three different ones? And what happened to No 2 and his wife and daughter?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: How many James Black Johnstons were there?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 August 17 22:19 BST (UK) »

JBJ b 1843

JBJ marries 1880

JBJ dies (25y)
1843 + 25 = died 1868 ?

?

"but mistakes have been known to occur."

What date was the Liverpool Echo note?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
There is a probate record for a James Black Johnston in Jarrow in 1883 leave to wife Annie?

Is this him on the gro?

Mother's Maiden Surname: BLACK
JOHNSTON, JOHN           
GRO Reference: 1845  S Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION  Volume 25  Page 351

Death?
Johnson   James Black   1844   1882   South Shields, Durham, England

Annie Johnston
Birth Date:   1859
Marriage Date:   1885
Marriage Place:   Tynemouth, Christ Church, Northumberland, England
Father:   William Raine
Spouse:   Franklin James Young
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
There is a Jessie Black Johnston living with a Sharp family in 1891 she is down as Niece i wonder if this could be the daughter?

Looking at this ladies probate looks like she leaves it to a her half brother
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 August 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
The 1883 probate record for James Black Johnston that Lisa found with Annie, his widow, being granted Admin gives a d.o.d of 01 Dec 1882 and says he died at Lake House, Jarrow

Shields Daily News, 6th Dec 1882 has a death notice:
JOHNSTONE - At Lake House, East Jarrow on the 1st inst., James B Johnstone, eldest son of the late John Johnstone of Newcastle upon Tyne

Which, though he's gained an e at the end of his surname and only has a middle initial in the death notice, appears to give a connection between your numbers 1 and 2?

Boo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 August 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much. I think you have cracked it.

Ray, the notice in the Liverpool Mercury was 7 February 1871.

Lisa, where do you get access to marriage transcriptions?

The Shields Daily News item clinches it, I think. Where do you get access to it, Boo? I bet there must be lots of information in it about the Black family, many of whom lived in South Shields.

I must look again at Uncle William's will and see if I missed a legacy to Jessie.

Thank you to everyone.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 August 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
The death notice was also in the Newcastle Courant on 8th December 1882, the spelling in that was Johnston (no e).
FindMyPast and British Newspaper Archives (also accessible via FindMyPast) have a lot of Tyneside newspapers online.

Your local library 'may' have access to that or the Gale  Newspaper collection which could possibly include the Courant . If there is a Family History Centre (LDS) near you they too may have access to FindMyPast/BNA.

Boo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 August 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I can access various collections through the National Library of Scotland, including the 19th century British Library newspapers, and parts of what is on FindMyPast.

I am well accustomed to variant spellings of names - can't think how I could have overlooked that death in South Shields in 1882, because when I am looking for this family I normally use "Johns*".

Now to see if I can find out what became of James' brothers :)