Author Topic: lost my sound in chat room  (Read 2318 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: lost my sound in chat room
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 August 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
Having never been in the Chat Room, apart from once by accident, I'm curious. Does that mean you can actually speak to people in there or is it just sounds, as in bleeps, to tell you there is a message?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
You have the option of hearing different beeps:
- When you post a message
- When someone else posts a message
- When someone leaves the room
- When someone joins the room
- When someone does a chat command

You do actually speak to people in there. It's sort of like the forum but in more instant terms.

Some of us like to mute the beeps, others like to turn them on, especially at times when chat is slow or you are searching and don't want to miss replies or when you are in there alone waiting for people to join and you don't want to miss them when they do.

And yes, my sound is also playing up.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
You do actually speak to people in there. It's sort of like the forum but in more instant terms.

Speak as in talk on Skype or phone, or speak as in text messaging (i.e not vocal)?

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:26 BST (UK) »

Speak as in talk on Skype or phone, or speak as in text messaging (i.e not vocal)?

Not vocal, just like in Skype, and messages could be in whatever colour you wanted to use.

Cheers
KHP

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks KHP, I did wonder when people said about losing sound whether it was actual talking.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 August 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
If anybody is hearing the sounds, I would  be interested to know what web browser is being used.

Thanks,
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 August 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
To confirm, I'm using Chrome. My sound was coming and going for a bit and then died.

That said, I just realised that for some reason it was blocking adobe flash player. I unblocked and now I am beeping and booping again :)

-Edit- it looks like we've cracked it. Someone else who was soundless also found the adobe flash player blocked and it looks like unblocking it worked again.

For Chrome people, in the top right of the screen, on the right end of the URL, there is a jigsaw puzzle piece with a red x. Click it and "run all plug-ins this time" (to fix temporarily - for me it keeps resetting every time I reload chat). For some reason I'm struggling to make the change permanent even after changing settings and making permissions.  ???

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
All the same as Ayashi,

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay