Author Topic: Printing various sized photographs one sheet of paper,canon Pro 100s printer  (Read 572 times)

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sadly the recent death of Mum in law, we came across a hoist of B&W photographs of ancestors that mum had never mentioned even though I'd been researching the family for a few years now,  So that all can either have a copy or the original, I'm in the process of scanning, a little restoration and printing them off...

I want to keep photographs as near to their original size, but due to I normally print on A3/A3+ I really need to print several various sizes of photographs on each sheet that I have. 

Thought the Canon's Easyprint EX software would handle this no porbs, but alas no with the A3 size paper, it basically giving me one photo per sheet :o

I do have Photoshop and Lightroom, 

Can anybody give me advise how I can achieve printing various sized photographs on one sheet of paper, either using photoshop, Lightroom or perhaps another compatible software

P.S

It's been exciting and great fun trying to work out possible candidates from the family tree for people in the photographs

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Printing various sized photographs one sheet of paper,canon Pro 100s printer
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
I hope Purlin’s simple solution works for you since you are in danger of going down the murky rabbit hole of photographic printing.

I have been an amateur photographer for many years and have had a good side business making prints. I would commonly use my commercial grade printer with a 24” wide carriage and print 6 or 8-up images on one large sheet.

If you run a Windows PC the favourite tool is Qimage. It will take any number of input images orient them any way you wish and then manage the printing process by taking over the native print driver.

I still use a free version I got 10 years ago, but I also have the paid modern version of Qimage Ultimate. Both are quirky but give great results.

Another issue you may be concerned with is print longevity.
Your Canon Pro 100s uses dye inks which have a greatly limited life compared to the pigment inks you need to use if you are selling a printed product.

How long?? Well that depends on whether you believe marketing claims. I have seen fading of a dye based print within 2 years when exposed to light of a window. Pigmented ones can appear identical to the original after 20 years of exposure. However pigments add there own problems, namely blockage of the jets if not used frequently. As I said it is a rabbit hole!

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Printing various sized photographs one sheet of paper,canon Pro 100s printer
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
I have inserted them into an ordinary text document page on openoffice, and printed them on photo paper.
But ........  just realised you're printing on A3 and i was thinking A4.     
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"