Author Topic: patrick O'loughlin  (Read 1220 times)

Offline samantha74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
patrick O'loughlin
« on: Friday 04 August 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
hoping someone can help me
I have a Patrick O'loughlin born c1841 died 1 June 1913. he married Catherine Fitzpatrick 24 November 1875. Catherine born 10 August 1855 Belvidere South Australia and died 13 Nov 1891 Mannanarie. she is buried Yatina cemetery. when she died the death notice states living 9 children 5 daughters and 4 sons
I have there children as followed
1) son O'loughlin born ?
2) son O'loughlin born ?
3) Bridget Mary O'loughlin born 1879 died 1962
4) Margaret Mary O'loughlin born 1882 died 18 April 1961
5) Catherine  O'loughlin born 1884 died 1972
6) Michael  O'loughlin born 1886 died 1937
7) Edward O'loughlin born 1887 died 1949
8) daughter O'loughlin born ?
9) Nora O'loughlin born 1891 dies 1973

trying to locate the 3 names of the children I haven't got, they are not in the birth index,
anyone have suggestions
kind regards

Sam

Mcbride iin South australia and county Downs Ireland
Mcinnes  South Australia and Scotland
Fitzpatrick -  in SA, NSW and County Clare Ireland
Marshall- South australia
Gilbert - South Australia
Liversedge- South australia and England
Hillier &Goodwin   South Australia
Sandland, Boehme/Bohme, Hawkes in SA
B

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: patrick O'loughlin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 02:35 BST (UK) »
This seems to be Edward's obituary

1950 'OBITUARY', Southern Cross (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1954), 13 January, p. 2. , viewed 05 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article167728118

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
I suggest you contact the South Australian Catholic Archives for a search of parish registers at Manoora or Mannanarie or alternatively SAGenealogy who may have fiche of the baptisms.  I have no experience of searching either as I've had no need.

In SA there was a reluctance by some sections of the community eg Roman Catholics and the Scottish, to register their childrens' births I guess they considered baptism to be adequate without a visit to a local bdm registrar for the civil registration.  Many SA rural areas did not have a local bdm registrar and it may have involved a long trip for registrations and of course if one was late with the registration there was a fine!!!

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article164860391  1891
Obituary.—Our Mannanarie correspondent writes:—A very sad death occurred here on Friday last, the 13th inst. Mrs. O'Loughlin, wife of Mr.P. O'Loughlin, who has been a resident here for a number of years, died a few hours after her confinement. The greatest sympathy is expressed for the bereaved husband and nine young children. The deceased was buried in the Yatina Catholic Cemetery on Sunday, the 15th inst., the funeral being one of the largest that has ever been in this district.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article167011008  1913
Obituary
Mr. Patrick O'Loughlin, Kensington.
Death has claimed another of South Australia's oldest pioneers in the person or the late Patrick O'Loughlin. The deceased gentleman, who was a native of County Clare, Ireland, was 72 years of age. He landed at Port Adelaide 49 years ago, and proceeded to the Manoora district, here he carried on farming until the opening up of the northern areas. He then selected land at Mannanarie, where he made his home and resided for many years.
About twelve years ago he retired from active operations and came to the city, and settled with his family at Kensington. Although deceased was a good ripe age, he enjoyed good health until eighteen months ago, when his health began to fail, but owing to his natural buoyant disposition he made light of his ailments, and was cheerful until, the last. Deceased passed away peacefully on Sunday morning, June 1, fortified by the rites of Holy Church, and surrounded bv his wife and family.
-R.I.P.

This would be his second wife Bridget Elizabeth CORCORAN nee CANNY.

Michael appears to be the fourth son of Patrick and Catherine. Of course there are often errors in the personal notices.
O'LOUGHLIN— McCANN.
St. Mary's Church, Glenelg, was crowded with friends and well wishers on Wednesday morning, 22nd inst., when Miss Mollie McCann, fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John McCann, of Glenelg, was married to Mr. M. J O'Loughlin, fourth son of the late Mr. P. O'Loughlin, formerly of Mannanarie.

Is this one of the two missing sons....and who is P O'LOUGHLIN...could his name be Patrick named after his father and the eldest son?

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article129252197  1927
Mannanarie News
Mr. T. O'Loughlin of Western Australia, is spending a holiday with his brother, Mr. P. O'Loughlin.

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx
OLOUGHLIN Thomas S    
CONNOLLY    Mary    
District Perth    Reg#684    1906

The marriage certificate would show the groom's parents' names.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article211989266   1907
O'Loughlin-Connolly Wedding.— On December 19 a wedding took place at the Catholic Church, Bayswater, when Mr. Thomas S. O'Loughlin, head teacher of Brookton school, was married to Miss Mary Connolly, head teacher of Westbrook. The Rev. P. Lynch, of York, assisted by Father White, performed the marriage ceremony. Mr. P. O'Loughlin  (brother of the bridegroom) and Miss Elsie Kennedy acted as best man and. bridesmaid respectively. After the ceremony an adjournment was made to the residence of Mrs, Pell (the new bride's sister.), where the usual  toasts were enthusiastically honored, including that of the bride's parents (Mr. and Mrs.Connolly). Mr. and Mrs. O'Loughlin, who received a number of handsome wedding presents, left on the following, day for South Australia, and expect to return to Brookton in time for the opening of school. Their many friends at that centre intend to give them a very cordial greeting on their return.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article49216731
The West Australian 29 Jun 1953
O'LOUGHLIN On June 27, 1953, at St. John of God Hospital, Subiaco, Thomas Stephen, dearly loved husband of Mary O'Loughlin. of 1329 Hay-street, West Perth, beloved father of Frank, Steve, Alice (Mrs. J. Layard), Con, Jack and Dorothy, also Leonard (deceased) and Cecil (killed in action 2/16th. Syria), fond father-in-law of Norah, Dorothy, Jack and Dorothy, loving grandfather of Noreen, Norman and Peter.
Requiescat in Pace.

Born c1877
Burial record
http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KB00097500

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samantha74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 03:04 BST (UK) »
thank you for that information I will try the catholic archives see if they can help
B

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 03:11 BST (UK) »
Apologies for not posting the links

http://www.adelaide.catholic.org.au/our-works-and-community/archives-and-records-services

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/quick-links/research-enquiry-02.html

Do you think Thomas Stephen O'LOUGHLIN is one of the missing sons?

Cando

Offline samantha74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 17 03:15 BST (UK) »
thanks for those links.

yes I think Thomas may be one of the sons as certainly fits in, Patricks father was named Thomas.
I often thought that one of the sons may have been named Patrick so it all seems to link up.

will send for marriage certificate of Thomas to see if I can be sure

Sam
B

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 17 03:38 BST (UK) »
will send for marriage certificate of Thomas to see if I can be sure

Yes the only way to validate the research  :)

I do wonder if the other brother was Patrick.  Will have another look at this later.

Haven't been able to find another possible lead on the missing daughter.  If only the chn's names had been detailed in the death notices :(

Cando

Offline search01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 18 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, please excuse me if I've got things wrong, but this is my first post on here.

I believe one of your missing boys is my great grandfather. Thomas Stephen O'Loughlin who was born 1877 and died 1953.  The second boy is his brother Patrick. Unfortunately I don't have any further information on him as yet.

Their father was Patrick O'Loughlin (c. 1843-1913) who was married to Catherine Fitzpatrick (1855-1891) I have not been able to find out who the missing daughter was.

Hope this helps.