Author Topic: Samuel Butcher/Bouchien/Boutchies born 1727/28  (Read 1678 times)

Offline twolf04

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Butcher/Bouchien/Boutchies born 1727/28
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 02:39 BST (UK) »

I have one ancestor a Samuel Butcher/Bouchien who lived in Brent Eleigh from about 1750 he married a women Rebecca Faires/Fairs,Fayers etc.

The earliest record of him is his marriage to Rebecca at St Marys Bury St Edmunds in 1749/50. The marriage entry states that his name is Butcher and that he is from Bradfield Comburst he is about 22 and is a Yeoman.

Suffolk, England, Extracted Church of England Parish Records
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5936
Saml BUTCHER, s. m., of Bradfield Combust, yeoman, 22 years, & Rebecca FAVIS, of Ely Combust, 27 years, at St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds. 19 Feb 1750
Book: 12.The Hearth Tax. Charles 2nd. Collection:
Suffolk: Sudbury - Marriage Licences, 1684-1754

Samuels Surname is a bit of a movable feast I have seen it as Bouchien/Bouchier/Bouchinn/ Bourchinn/Bourchier/Bourchill/Boutchies as well as Butcher. I have also speculated that it could have been Boucher/Bouchin

I have all the Baptism records of his children from his time in Brent Eleigh. 

I am aware that Bradfield Comburst his a parish of record, according to the marriage registry. that no record of his Baptism has been found, or any evidence of any siblings or extended family. He seems to have appeared out of nowhere.

I do know he is listed as a Yeoman, so I assume that land must be involved somewhere. Bradfield Comburst?

My mother who's maiden name was Butcher, thought that name had been changed, anglicized  at some stage, and that they descended  from possibly Dutch or French Protestants. 

I am really hoping someone can help me break this brick wall.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Butcher/Bouchien/Boutchies born 1727/28
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi twolf04
I also have Samuel Butcher/Bouchier (Bouchier is French for Butcher) born about 1728 at Bradfield Combust. He married Rebecca Fayres/Faiers (bap. 08 Jan 1722/23) at Brent Ely (a.k.a. Ely Combust) on 19 Feb 1749/50 at St Mary's, Bury St Edmunds.

I have them with six children: Samuel, Rebecca, Sarah, Thomas, George and Ann (all bap. between 1751 and 1761.

Notes that I have are: The marriage of Samuel Butcher & Rebecca Fairs took place at St. Mary’s Parish Church, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk on 19th February 1750. The record at the Suffolk Record appears to read – “Samuel Butcher of Bradfield Combust in Suffolk, Singleman. Rebekah Fairs of Ely Combust in said county, spinster”. Marriage Allegations. Sudbury Vol 69: Samuel Butcher s.m. of Bradfield Combust, yeoman, 22 yrs and Rebecca Favis/Fayis ? of Ely Combust, 27 yrs, at St Mary, Bury St Edmunds, 19 Feb 1750. So Samuel Butcher born about 1728 and Mary Fayers/Faiers/Fairs 1722/23.

Bradfield Combust is a parish that lies 7 miles north of Brent Eleigh. Brent Eleigh is often written “Brent Ely” during this period. The marriage was in Bury St. Edmunds, which is 12 miles from Brent Eleigh.

Regrettably, I have been unable to trace the family back prior to Samuel's birth in about 1728, though tracing Rebecca is a little easier online. It seems you have hit the same brick wall as those that have preceded you in this quest.

If you get a breakthrough, please post it.

Regards and good luck.
francoso

Offline twolf04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi francoso

Have you had a look at the manorial rolls of Bradfield Combust? They are held by the Bury St Edmunds office and small number are also held in Ipswich.

Are you also certain Samuel Butcher/Bouchier was born in Bradfield Combust? I don't think any baptism record has been found.

Certainly if I get break though on him, I will post what I have found.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
True, twolf04, I don't have his baptism record: he was only living in Bradfield Combust when he married in BstE.

No chance of me sighting the Manorial Rolls (unless they are online) as I am on the opposite side of the world to Suffolk.

Regards
francoso

Offline twolf04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi francoso

I am on the other side of world too.

I will contact bury St Edmund's and find out if they have all the manorial rolls for Bradfield combust for the early and middle 18th century, and if it is not too costly, ask them to do some research.

If I do. I will post what was found, even if it is nothing.

Regards
twolf04

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Ah, well, twolf04, that accounts for us both flying blind. Are you, by any chance, related to a Butcher who came to New Zealand  ?

Two of Samuel Butcher and Rebecca Fayres' children went to Raydon in Suffolk. One of them, George Butcher, married Mary Osborne at Raydon 11 Oct 1785, and had 12 kids as far as I can find. One of these was Samuel Butcher (born 1798) who I am pretty sure married  Sarah Thornton at Hadleigh in 1821, had 11 lids as far as I can find. One of these was Henry Butcher, bap. 14 Apr 1837 at Raydon. He married Sarah Coyle (from Manchester) at Timaru, South Canterbury, NZ on 2 Nov 1863. They had 11 lids that I have found.

The ship, STRATHALLAN, sailed 12 Oct 1858 and arrived 21 Jan 1859 Lyttelton, Canterbury. Among the passengers was: Single men: Hy BUTCHER, 21, Raydon, Laborer.

Just in case it helps.
regards
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
And just a bit further fort an Ozzy connection:
Evening Post, Volume CXI, Issue 26, 1 February 1926, Page 6
One of the oldest pioneers in the Waimate district, Mr. Henry BUTCHER, passed away on Wednesday at the advanced age of 90. Mr. Butcher arrived in New Zealand in the Strathallan on 16th January, 1859, and has been a resident in Waimate from that time, 66 years. He was a member of the Manchester Unity, I.O.O. F., for 33 years. The late Mr. BUTCHER was well known in the district, and his death removes one of the connecting links with the very early settlement of South Canterbury. He leaves two sons, Mr. S. BUTCHER, secretary Grocers' Union, Wellington, Mr. W. S. BUTCHER, Queensland, and four daughters, Mesdames F. MITCHELL (Wanganui), KYLEE (Wellington), BUCKINGHAM (Timaru), and Miss BUTCHER (Waimate).

francoso

Offline twolf04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Francoso

Henry Butcher was my 2nd great grandfather. My descent is through his son John Samuel Butcher who married 'Annie Blackwell" in 1887

1887/3551   Annie   Blackwell   John Samuel   Butcher

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi twolf04. I have Henry Butcher and Sarah Coyle as having 11 kids all born Waimate between 1864 and 1877. The Evening Post of 1 Feb 1926 mentions he was survived by 2 sons and 4 daughters; presumably the Mr S. Butcher mentioned is actually John Samuel Butcher and W.S. Butcher of Queensland is actually William Henry Butcher. I haven't followed the family of Henry and Sarah any further and have the 11 names as John Samuel (1864), William Henry (1865), James Walter (1867), Sarah Ann (1868), George Francis (1869), Thomas Frederick (1870), Mary Jane (1872), Eliza Ellen (1873), Susan Catherine (1874), Amelia Alice (1876), and Charles Edward (1877).

My connection with the Butcher family is through Thomas Butcher bap. 06 Nov 1791 at Raydon, son of  George Butcher and Mary Osborn. It seems this Thomas Butcher fathered an illegitimate son, Thomas Keeble b. about 1822, with a Mary Keeble (at least that is the name of Thomas Keeble's father as given on the marriage certificate of Thomas Keeble when he married Harriet White on 26 Jan 1848, 9 days after his mother, Mary Keeble, died on 17 Jan 1848 at Raydon. My connection extends through Thomas Keeble.

Regards
francoso