Author Topic: Thomas Campbell service records.  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Campbell service records.
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
After several years of attempting to discover my grandfather's WW1 service history,I am no closer to a resolution, and seek some assistance to finally nail this if possible,as this is a somewhat tricky case.
I don't have access to the subscription sites, but have arrived at 8 possible service numbers,and hope somebody may be able to check a couple to enable me to sort/eliminate them.
Calland/Campbell/Pilkington/Wignall/Varley/Briscoe

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Campbell service records.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
Post the numbers and his name and place of birth if poss and I'm sure further advice will flow forth!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Post the numbers and his name and place of birth if poss and I'm sure further advice will flow forth!

maxD
Hello Max. Name; Thomas Campbell - Reg;King's Liverpool,9 bn - Born;Liverpool ( the year of birth is a little problematical...) He was a civilian in March 1915,and in military by May 1917.
Poss service numbers -34863 / 75577 / 332433 / 56828 / 24462 / 406642 / 24288 / 66260 / 11229.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
None of those produce a detailed service record.  There are no medal cards at the National Archives for 34863, 24228 indicating no overseas service and hence no trace of them in the KLR that I can find.
Of the remainder, only 332433 shows up as 9th Battalion having served first pre 1917 as 5584, then after the 9th Bn transferred to the Labour Corps and then the Railways and Waterways element of the Royal Engineers probably mid 1918.  No indication of time served.  His medal card is available to download from the National Archives here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1688191

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
I am grateful for this Max, the service numbers came from Liverpool Museum of Life's K.L.R database. My father maintained that his dad was wounded in service, and died when he was aged four due to the injuries sustained, and he did indeed die in 1923,whether the cause of death was connected to complications from such wounds,I shall probably never discover. My grandfather was a tradesman decorator,so I am a little wary re the waterways/engineers aspect,especially given the likely possibility that he was injured at some point, I'd assumed a discharge on medical grounds, but I'm more puzzled than before now....Thank you again Max for helping me today, it is much appreciated.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Three of your numbers were discharged sick with a Silver War badge.  56828 served 1916-18 with 17 and 18 Bns, 406642 05-15 (a regular) with 1st and 26th Bn and 11229 3rd Garrison Bn 14-16.

Not much help though without the service records.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Re checking, 24288 also was discharged sick, served 1915-16 with 5th Bn.  You perhaps deliberately also didn't list Sgt Thomas Campbell, 201130 who was also 5th Bn and whose record does survive,

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
Three of your numbers were discharged sick with a Silver War badge.  56828 served 1916-18 with 17 and 18 Bns, 406642 05-15 (a regular) with 1st and 26th Bn and 11229 3rd Garrison Bn 14-16.

Not much help though without the service records.

maxD
Just catching up here Max - as far as I'm aware,my man wasn't a regular (he was a civilian at the time of his wedding in 1915, would Garrison Bn suggest home service??

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Re checking, 24288 also was discharged sick, served 1915-16 with 5th Bn.  You perhaps deliberately also didn't list Sgt Thomas Campbell, 201130 who was also 5th Bn and whose record does survive,

maxD
I wasn't aware of his being other than pte,anything is possible I suppose. So there are a few potentials, but no service history, but if,as you say the Sgt's records survive, if I can access them,it would show n.o.k.and address....