Author Topic: Aloysius james lester also know as woodbridge  (Read 5946 times)

Offline Irene Whennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Aloysius james lester also know as woodbridge
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all that.
In regard PE Lester's country of birth I haven't verified it as yet.
One relative told me she thought Tasmania the notes I have said UK.
Regardless of where he was born he spent some time in Victoria prior to coming to South Australia in 1871. I found an interesting article stating he was a "Henchman of Peter Lalor" of Eureka Stockade fame ... I do have a lot of info of him from the time he came to SA but almost nothing prior to that time.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all that.
Regardless of where he was born he spent some time in Victoria prior to coming to South Australia in 1871. I found an interesting article stating he was a "Henchman of Peter Lalor" of Eureka Stockade fame ... I do have a lot of info of him from the time he came to SA but almost nothing prior to that time.
Thanks again for your help.

Perhaps this is the news item you refer to.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/238122019

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 00:40 BST (UK) »

Sometimes UK has been used to mean United Kingdom, but other times it has been used to mean UnKnown, so perhaps he was born Tasmania.   

:)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 03:03 BST (UK) »
And following on from Sue's newspaper cutting, with mention of Draughts ... here's another cutting with mention of that .... and the new South Australian Champion ... Mr Peter Edward Lester is an Australian by birth and rather over fifty years of age  ... cricketer, football, ... foot races, ....a mechanic in employ of Messrs James Marshall and Co., of Adelaide, founder of Norwood Draught Club, ....

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/47061770  South Australian Register  21 June 1889

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 03:53 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts..

Various newspapers items mention that Peter Edward LESTER was Australian born.....but where was he born in Australia?

They are easily found.

Much of Peter Edward's information is unsupported.  There are no documents to support his place of birth or activities in Victoria.  From his son Peter Henry's 1934 obituary - Born in Adelaide, he had the advantage of having a father who was not only a deep student of ancient and modern classics .......... http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article58728327

I often mention the information on BISA is not always accurate however in 1986 a person submitted information to SAGHS which stated Peter Edward was born in London, England.  Perhaps with his policitical affilliations he wish to be known as a 'native of Australia'.

If he was born in Tasmania in c1836 with a father John, then there is no parish record of a baptism.  How often have we seen a person state his place of birth to later discover it was only the place he was raised. 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Irene Whennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 04:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help but as mentioned previously I am only lacking details about the time PE Lester spent in Victoria, that period covered in an obituary "Henchman of Peter Lalor". I have everything else in regard his time in South Australia.
Thanks again

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 05:36 BST (UK) »
Irene you really don't have accurate information about his place of birth.  Links and mentions of SA information are attempts to help solve this.  Genealogy is not about repeating family stories...one needs to have one or more sources and/or documents to validate events.  There are many publications and websites which offer useful tips about researching and recording your family history.

Good luck.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Excellent advice from Cando.

I wonder if Irene's Peter LESTER could be from Europe rather than United Kingdom or born here ...

The National Archives of Australia’s online index has a Naturalisation file from Victoria’s 1869 applications for a Peter LESTER.  The file has not yet been digitised, and there’s a fee applicable for that process, access is shown as open, so the delay would likely be about 30 days.  I would expect the file to give place of birth, date of birth, ship of arrival, occupation and other vital family history information etc. 

There’s also an online index to Victoria’s Naturalisation Certificates.  It has a Peter LESTER in that index.  His Certificate is dated 26 April 1869.  He was then aged 33 years (so born about 1835-37)  and his address was Emerald Hill, He was indexed as born Bremen (after a correction was struck through) and a Carpenter... 

Here’s the NAA website
http://naa.gov.au/

Naturalisation fact sheet
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs68.aspx 

I cannot find any Peter LESTER having any involvement in the Eureka Stockade.  There's an Alfred LESTER, of the Free Trade Hotel etc but no mention of Peter.

https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/explore/family-history-resources
Family History Feast will be held at the Library on 21 August, 10am to 4pm.

JM.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
Excellent advice from Cando.

I cannot find any Peter LESTER having any involvement in the Eureka Stockade.  There's an Alfred LESTER, of the Free Trade Hotel etc but no mention of Peter.

JM.   

A number of gatherings and meetings are quoted as taking place at Lesters Hotel at the time of the rebellion.
Interestingly, the author of the news snip regarding Peter Edward LESTER's in involvement with the Eureka event, emphasizes the character of Peter as being extremely abstemious, teetotal, upright etc. So I doubt he could be confused with the publican at Lester's Hotel.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk