Author Topic: Denominations of Irish ancestors  (Read 1191 times)

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Denominations of Irish ancestors
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello, does anyone have any ideas about how to determine the Church Irish ancestors belonged to?

Example - my ancestor John Roddy moved to England and married in an Anglican ceremony to an Anglican woman and all of their children were raised in the same Church. All I know of his life in Ireland is that he was born circa 1829 in Roscommon and his father's name was Michael.

Would I begin by looking for him in Catholic registers? Is there search I could do that would indicate if whether Roddy families in that county were protestant?

Thanks for any advice

Mike
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Denominations of Irish ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
rootsireland shows a few John Roddy entries for that period.
If you look at the Roddy entries in the 1901 census for Roscommon, every single one is listed as Roman Catholic. This isn't 100% proof of course that your John was, but it's a strong indication.

**edit. Sorry, for some reason I was calling him Michael. Allow for different surname spellings too.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344