Author Topic: Johan born Germany c 1792  (Read 2470 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Johan born Germany c 1792
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)
I have a marriage entry for an ancestor who later is known as John Stonebrook born Germany, and who is listed by the minister as Johan Stohnbrock at his marriage in 1834.
Please can I have help deciphering his signature - on the attached image, as I cannot find the surname Stohnbrock anywhere in Ancestry of Familysearch?
Many thanks
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eileenmcnaught

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johan born Germany c 1792
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Mar,

I had a look at Johan´s signature and it looks as though the name may be Stosnbruck.   I live in Germany and my german husband thinks too that it could be right.  The ´h´looks like an old german ´s´and the o in the latter part is a u.
Hope this has helped you.

Best wishes,   Eileen

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eileen for your advice,
this one is a bit of a mystery as no names come up either with the spelling Stosnbruck
I'm not sure what to make of his name as the 'h' in the middle of Johan (which looks like an s) looks the same as the letter in the middle of his surname?
The thought crosses my mind that maybe he made up his surname, or spelled it phonetically in German???
Margaret
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Mar,

looks more like a translation from the German name Steinbrück,Steinbrueck, Steinbruck or Steinbrock.

Hope this helps, regards Peonie

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 August 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
The surname is written Stohnbruck. A name which does not appear in any online records that I can find.

As Peonie suggests, has he written the English word 'stone' as a German who didn't speak English might write it, i.e. 'Stohn'.

I'd say that his real name was Steinbrück or Steinbruck, the former being widespread in Germany today.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 07:45 BST (UK) »
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again and thank you for all your replies. it would seem likely that his spelling is an attempt to phonetically spell Stonebrook in German (Stohnbrock), and that his real surname is still not clear, but probably one of those suggested.
Garstonite - yes this is his marriage at aged 42 and he says he is a widow when he marries Mary Attwood on 10 October 1834.
One thing this has just brought to light though, is that there is another marriage listed in quarter 4 of 1849 for Johan Stohnbrock (Bethnal Green); on the same page is also Mary Attwood, so I'm not sure what's going on here?
I need to post a request to see if someone has the actual image of this marriage
Mar

Surname Interests

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage 7 Nov 1814 at St Dunstan & All Saints Stepney for John Stonebrook of MEOT batchelor and Ann Austin of same.
There's a definite similarity between the 'Johan St....' in the signature of John Stonebrook and that on the 1834 marriage entry.

Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
I can see what you mean sugarbakers
I will look for a death of Ann Stonebrook
Mar :)
Surname Interests