Author Topic: Roots Magic / Ancestry Trees  (Read 1220 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Roots Magic / Ancestry Trees
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
FYI  -  RM has recently done some updates with the syncing to Ancestry Trees. (Latest version of RM 7.5.2.0)

If like me, you want to know more about how this works before trying then there is a good video on YouTube. Certainly worth viewing even if you don't use or want to use RM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOlq7EFIWA  (WARNING - 36 minutes long!)

I use RM for my tree on my pc but I don't have an Ancestry tree. I found it interesting to see how flexible the syncing has now become, and reassured that the basic tree you put up automatically remains private, unless you choose otherwise. Lots of options and explains in detail how to export a tree from Ancestry and "what files" actually comes with it!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Roots Magic / Ancestry Trees
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for sharing this. I am having real difficulty with FTM 2017 and not getting any help from Support. Roots Magic looks to be an excellent alternative ( although I'm reluctant to spend more money at this stage ! )

Thanks again

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
There is a free download to try but I'm not sure if it supports the Ancestry syncing.

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
i'm managing okay on ftm 2017 but have n't decided what to do with colour coding. I agree about the support. There's no telephone support and the live chat seems to depend on who you get. My nightmare was when my email address went down before the delayed release.To try and get it changed was a nightmare and then when it came out despite my email being change on the system, had to use my old one to get on and then change it when there was an option to register.I did n't get my link, had to send in a receipt and also commented on fcebook, you got told to use the email you originally registered with, why when it was supposedly changed with them!

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 17 00:48 BST (UK) »
I have the Rootsmagic, but am having difficulty getting it to publish the whole family tree.  It seems to just want to do family and not descendents.  I like my PAF , but I am using both at the moment until I can get it figured out.  I watched the video and still nothing.  Im daff but trying.  Any help would be appreciated.
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Mitchell  - Fraser, Murray, Gauld, Metcalfe, Anderson,
Shand, Thain, Robson.