Author Topic: Coppins/Jacob/s confusion.  (Read 1442 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Coppins/Jacob/s confusion.
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone assist me in this:

My g grandfather was Thomas William Jacobs born j/f/m 1882 Faversham.

Thomas W Jacobs b1882 Faversham with parents RG14 Piece714 Folio34 p21

Thomas W Jacob b1882 Faversham boarding with family of his future wife Maud Wildish
Piece803 Folio47 p34

He marries Maud J/A/S 1902 Faversham.

Thomas William and Maud Mary Class RG14 Piece4393 Schedule173

Up to here its fairly straightforward.

Back to 1891,Thomas parents are Thomas b1854 Faversham and Mary Ann.

Then 1881.

Thomas W Coppins b1854 Faversham
Mary Ann b1854 Faversham
Class RG11 Piece969 Folio88 p3.

Thomas Coppins b1854 lodging with relations Class RG10 Piece 978 Folio158 p23

Thomas is with his parents Jesse Coppins b1832 Faversham and Mary b1837 Boughton
Class RG9 Piece526 Folio172 P35.

His mother was Mary Ann Jacob,i don't think she ever married Jesse,ive never been able to find a record of it.

Mary Jacob b1834 Boughton under Blean Piece1626 Folio415 p15

The problem I'm having is finding Thomas birth,and that of his brother Frederick.

The firstborn Ellen Harriet Jacob birth registered O/N/D 1851 Faversham.Christened 20th August 1854 Fav mother Mary Ann Jacobs.The GRO index shows no MMN,which makes me think she was illegitimate.

Next is my 2xg grandfather Thomas.For him,i can find no birth for a Thomas William Coppins/Jacob/S in Faversham around 1854.There is however a Thomas Jesse Jacob J/AS 1853 Faversham which caught my attention given Thomas fathers name.On GRO index no MMN is show for this entry.

Next is Frederick.I can find nothing whatsoever for him under Coppins/Jacob/s or any variation.

The next one Emma J/A/S 1859 the mmn Jacob.

The remaining 4 siblings mmn Jacobs.

When Thomas married Mary Ann Epps on 13/04/1879 he gave his fathers name as Jesse Jacobs not Coppins,and no mention that hes deceased.But ive found a death entry that matches Jesse Coppins in Faversham in 1877.

This is all very confusing.I had assumed Jesse Coppins was my 3xg grandfather,but now I'm having doubts and wondering whether Thomas was illegitimate too.

Please can anyone find any more information that would help me prove or disprove this,or add anything else to what ive got.Is anyone else on here related to my family?

Also please can anyone find Fredericks birth?

Anything would be greatly appreciated,ant thoughts or theories on it.

Thanks.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Coppins/Jacob/s confusion.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:38 BST (UK) »

When Thomas married Mary Ann Epps on 13/04/1879 he gave his fathers name as Jesse Jacobs not Coppins,and no mention that hes deceased.But ive found a death entry that matches Jesse Coppins in Faversham in 1877.

This is all very confusing.I had assumed Jesse Coppins was my 3xg grandfather,but now I'm having doubts and wondering whether Thomas was illegitimate too.

It is not a question that would have been asked of the bride & groom so it is possible that it is the right death
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
I have several marriage certificates where the father was deceased but not marked as deceased on the certificate so I wouldn't worry too much about that  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
Next is Frederick.I can find nothing whatsoever for him under Coppins/Jacob/s or any variation.

Is this his baptism in Selling Kent

Frederick Coppins 30 Sep 1855
Father Jesse Coppins
Mother Mary Ann Coppins

There's an Edward Coppins birth registration Mar 1856 Faversham no mothers name listed  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 August 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

Yes that does look like Frederick.

I still cant find a birth for my gg grandfather Thomas William though.He was Thomas William Coppins on all the census before his marriage,he married using Thomas William Jacobs and is using that on the census after his marriage.I cant remember how his death was registered,i will check that.The only birth I can see in Faversham for a Thomas around that time is Thomas Jesse Jacob in 1853,which would make sense given the name of my Thomas father,but this doesn't fit with anything else.Any more thoughts appreciated.

Nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 August 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
Death registered as Thomas W Jacobs March 1927 Faversham.

Offline Amyc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have just come across this post and trying to find out abit about Jacob's, I have found that Thomas's father Thomas was born in 1854. Could you tell me if you know how Thomas junior died and what year?
They lived in the house i grew up in which was 14 Mendfield Street and I am just trying to find out the history of the house.
Thank you.
Amy