Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #5 Emma Willis  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
"Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #5 Emma Willis
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Did anybody watch this episode? I couldn't see a thread about it!  ;D

I actually quite enjoyed this episode; probably my favourite of the series so far. It was great to see Emma actually doing the research herself, rather than being handed it all. She also seemed genuine with her reactions and seemed to want to know more.

I found the story in Ireland rather interesting and being able to see your ancestors own work must have been an amazing feeling for Emma. 5/5 More like this!
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #5 Emma Willis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Most of the way through but not riveted by it or I would have watched it all in one go instead of a bit at a time.  Not one I would want to watch again although I do like Emma.

Charles Dance has been the best one for me so far this series. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Best of the series so far for me too, although there were a few niggles like being told 'in attendance' on a death certificate meant the son was present at the death  :-X

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
Not one that grabbed me; I agree with Milliepede....best one so far in this series has been Charles Dance.
Looking forward to the return after the sporting interlude.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Oh no have we got a sporting interlude  :o

Have you got a favourite episode of all time?

Mine has to be Jeremy Paxman being all blasé at the start then being so affected he has to wipe away a tear.  Bless him.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
My first thought was I have never heard of her. Maybe because I don't watch Big Brother.

They mentioned an ancestor named Martin Gebhard, obviously not an English name, looking at the census he was born in Germany, no other mention of this line.

I wasn't impressed with the Birmingham angle I am sure they have done this before.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
I rather think that, had it not been for the O'Connell connection, this one may have bitten the dust like the infamous Michael Parkinson one!!

I also think its a good example to give the lie to those people who perennially come up with the 'why don't they do ordinary people' argument. It was all a bit dull, though I like Emma and think she came across as she always does: charming and down to earth. I liked it because most of it was just like any of our genealogy might have been and, yes, because she did do some digging herself and seemed genuinely interested. Not sure what's so great about Birmingham, though - I guess you have to have been born there!!

Who's next? after the 10 days of running around in circles (ovals?), that is?  ::)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 August 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
I wasn't impressed with the Birmingham angle I am sure they have done this before.

Martin Shaw. 

I got confused when they showed the Bullring then seemed to go down Broad Street before turning up around Digbeth or thereabouts, namely they doubled back to the same area.  But I may have got mixed wires on where they actually went. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 August 17 20:04 BST (UK) »

Who's next? after the 10 days of running around in circles (ovals?), that is?  ::)

I think it is Lulu.......someone I do remember!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk